Chapter 8 Who was I

Massia said her farewells to the capital city, Silondras. She said goodbye to her brothers, a thing harder to do than she would realize it was. It seemed only a moment since they had been there, together as a family before they had departed. Though two weeks would have been more than enough for her, she misses how things were more than ever, seeing them disappear over the horizon. Did they see Silondras as the same home she now does, has to? She always wished to get out into the world and see new things, but these new things seemed meaningless if they weren't there with her. She knows this to be somewhat unfair for her mother. She has been there to comfort her, helping her cope with this so drastic change, the trauma she has endured in the care of these monsters that she knows is still pursuing her. She doubts she would be even this well put together if not for Celia's naturally motherly nature. But she still misses her brother and wishes that soon, they could all settle down for just a moment and be a family again.

That day may never come, Vermilliiaa told her from the depths of her mind. You have been thrust into something bigger than yourself. Now is no time for being a selfish child.

They now passed over the tall gates of the outer walls. The gleaming white walls, reflecting the late sun's rays onto the plains below, bathed the massive caravan of wagons, supply trains, chariots, men on foot and horse, and artisan that followed the Queen into the looming terror of trees. She has never seen so many people move at once. An entire army was surrounding them at all times, with even more of those black cladding warriors carrying on black steeds flanking their car. But even without these carrion warriors, over a hundred knights rode with them, hand-selected by Novia and Lupren themselves. Lupren even rode in the same carriage as them all the way to the edge of The Forest of Silence. Not in his usually clunky gold plated armor but more manageable clothing with his knight's blade sheathed on his lap. But the unsteady vigilance he portrayed was immense to Massia. He seemed invulnerable as he sat, something she was not used to seeing him like, sitting across from her mother. One might mistake him a beast ready to tear the heads off them both. But they merely engaged in light conversation as the caravan moved on.

"Has there been word from the other kings and queens of the Empire?" she asked him. "Or perhaps the matron?"

"From the matron? No," He seemed relatively at ease with that statement. "The other rulers of our Empire have sent the usual greetings. So many seem rather eager to meet you. I can't blame them; it is not every day that a bloodline is cut off so abruptly. And whatever rumor has spear to their halls are surely playing you out to be rather vulnerable, though I'm sure some know better than that."

"Good," she said. "Strength is the backbone of our nation. It is practically the only thing we respect in our rulers. So James had to do very little to show himself fit to lead."

"In all honesty, James had no choice but to take the crown," Lupren said. "Siblings all dead, father gone mad and mother disappearing. The crown was nearly given to him. Of course, any other noble waiting for an opportunity for this would kill for it, but knowing what we know, what we plan to tell them, it would seem instead that the lot of you are cursed men walking this earth.

"You are not wrong," Celia sighed. "Just pray we live to see our enemies die first and that our last breath will be laughter."

They went on, but as the day grew long and dreary, Massia found herself drifting into a soundless sleep, mind engulfed by the unconscious mind. And she ceased to be:

The days of the gods were coming to an end.

Our ancient roots at the heart of our country, the same sources that connect every man and woman who takes up spear and shield, has so suddenly become a precursor for our very destruction. I didn't believe it when I heard it. How could such a thing occur? But when those pale-faced men returned to her courts, racked with a paranoia beyond what would ever see on battlefields, then she thought it must be true. The mountains are shaking and turning, the seas turned tumultuous, and the land rippled in stress as the laughter and spray of gods ranged above them all. It was as if reality had come to conflict with itself. Not even the heavens are safe from the anarchy this armageddon has brought forth. There seemed not a day that the skies were clear, the air still or the rumbling from distant battles rattled them. I liked the quiet. Despite her reputation, which she so rightfully earned, her home was where she could return and find some moment of peace and clarity before my patron called upon me again. But now, as I sit upon my throne, looking out at the blood-red skies where it seemed even the sun deviates from its nature, I found no peace, I found no deliverance.