Chapter 22 Erusland

Ryan watched as Veronica's body was taken onto a stretcher. It had been a few hours since the attack, and the military police were still a hive of activity. They practically turned the entire area upside down in search of this assassin. But no luck, just traces of where they once were. The knight had gone after one of them. But he was yet to return. So Ryan was just left to stare at his old friend being taken away. The white sheets covering her from view were already stained in blood. If only he or the knight had been faster, if only they did not allow her to see her sister, she wouldn't be dead right now. Ryan wished he could just cry. But at this point, he was just numbed. He has already lost so much so quickly. That is all he has done since his youth. His mother, his sister. His family, his village, his friends. And now, the orphanage will be forever empty. Avery will no doubt despise him much the same way Zeke does now. He made the foolish decision to give Veronica hope. But like a fool, he has yet to remember something Veronica had known for years now. That people like them did not deserve to be happy. Ryan wished he could cry, but no. His unyielding rage, unfortunately, overshadowed it.

"A shame," Vivian was behind him, looking out as Veronica's body was carted away to be cremated, as was usually done with all prisoners. "I wish we could have gotten something useful out of her. But now, I guess we are back to where we have started. Perhaps the knight might just take you to the empire?"

Her words lacked pity or condolence. He thought, for a moment, to snap at her with something, anything. But deep down, he knew she had nothing to do with this. She was simply doing as she must and must think. But still, he gripped the hilt of his dagger to restrain himself.

"Sir Colt had said he had a plan," Ryan told her. "To find where their base is within the ruins."

She simply sighed. "He just won't give up on this, will he? This drug smuggling operation isn't worth a knight's time. He's better off just-"

She bit off her words suddenly. Ryan felt it before he saw it. This immense pressure brought sweat down his eyes. It felt like he was suddenly standing before a great beast, naked and bare. He looked up, only to see the knight. He was just as regal and posed as he ever was. But something was different about him. Something that made him go on edge, ready to fight. This fighting spirit surrounded him. Then he realized that this aura did not come from him but from his pendant. It whipped everyone into an active fury, the need to do something. And its origin lay within his eyes. Those blue eyes iced over and cold upon contact as he looked from Ryan to Vivian. It was anger, an emotion so ill-suited to the knight that Ryan nearly did not recognize him at first. Lyse was angry.

"We will find them," he said flatly to them as he passed them by, presumably to the captain's quarters.

"What do you plan on doing my lord?" Vivian immediately followed after him.

"Our last shot," he said. "If this does not succeed, we have little other option. But this Bok, allow me to vow, he will die for this."

"For what, my lord?" she asked him.

"For disgracing the oaths of a knight," he said, then looked to Ryan. "I gave you and her my word that she will e under my protection. That she was safe as long as I permitted it. They have robbed me of that honor, the oaths of which this blade defends my homeland. And they will surely suffer for their transgressions."

"So what's this plan of yours then?" Ryan asked him. "How are you going to get to Bok."

"The answer was right in front of us," Lyse told him. "Captain, I want all the reports of people on this drug. We have all the breadcrumbs we need. It's time we end this have if theirs."