Chapter 28 The Necromancer

They were amidst a swarm.

       Lyse doesn't know what spells this man had produced, but it seemed to choke the light out of anything within the room. He had noticed it before, but its effects became even more pronounced when he summoned those shadow creatures. The light on his blade, which once was so bright and could quickly destroy one of these shadow creatures, was now so pale and shallow. It was so dim now that he could barely see six feet in front of him. And whenever he did land a strike upon these creatures, while he did make contact, it only stunned them for a moment, nothing more. And there were so many. They were forced to fight defensively. Not only because of these creatures but because of the Corpse of Bak. Though decrepit and falling apart, it moved with speed and strength, the undead lord of the ruins animated by whatever dark magic this was. And those blades carried weight behind them. Enough to shatter rock where he stands and leave him in two if Lyse lets him. Lyse decided not to rely on sight anymore, instead purely focusing on avra to see his surroundings and enemies. At least this way, he could better see the shadow creatures.  He stabbed one through the head. It was a strange move, as there seemed to be some resistance as his blade was still alit. But they appeared barely fazed. 

    So he changed tactics instead of launching another avra sphere towards that purple orb that Amond had summoned. There was enough power to shatter bare stone and steel in one attack; surely this necromancer would fall if just one touched him. However, something halted Lyse's attack in mid-air. One of his many familiars leaped in the way, sacrificing its existence to protect the mage. This battle won't be so easily won like that, not while his enemy has so many pawns on the board. And he can't afford to let his guard down, either. The undead form of Bak, though smaller, rivaled the undead centurion in power and speed. And his blades felt the same, that sickening avra that made him wont to crawl onto his knees and hurl. He did not wish to know what being stabbed or cut by those blades would do to his body. This was a different sort of foe, and there was no martial arts for him to analyze or exploit, no skill, just raw physical power and strength despite its physical host. And already, Lyse knows how to defeat it.

   "Give up now, boy," Amond said. "If you surrender now and submit, we may spare your life. Cooperation is the only avenue by which you survive."

      "That's enough of you," Ryan leaped forward, tossing his blade directly at Amond from his flank. However, just like before, a humanoid familiar caught the edge easily and flung it aside. They responded so quickly that Ryan could only guess that they all saw what each other sees. Shared vision all at once. A hive mind, as it were. Amond seemed bothered by his presence, baring his teeth angrily before holding his hands towards Ryan. He was preparing to cast another spell. Enemies surrounding him from all sides forced him to use the pendant once more to evade them all. And that was his first mistake. As he tried to reach out and grasp that power once more for himself, he felt a stinging sensation suddenly erupt within his body, a light flare that was only momentary but of severe warning. And it was just that brief pause that gave Amond enough time to cast his spell. A purple ball of avra formed in his hand and shot directly at Ryan, hitting him square in his chest. There was no pain, at first, just this gentle nudge that he felt against his ribs. Then, he felt it. Every limb of his seized suddenly, as his heart stopped beating for a solid three seconds. He nearly collapsed to his knees, leaving him vulnerable as multiple familiars began their assault. Thankfully the effect was momentary, and he could swiftly dodge most of them. But he did catch the claws of a shadow tiger to his back. Any closer and the wound would have been severe. But he knows that he is nearing his limits with using the pendant.

     "I commend you," Amond said, readying another spell. "A lesser man would have succumbed to that sort of spell. You knights are quite stubborn, aren't you."