Chapter 50 Point of No Return

Ryan could not believe his eyes. He thought it a trick or the hot sandy dunes at first. He has seen Lyse grow trees all over for shade or producing mediocre fruits. But nothing near this scale. Then he remembered the seeds he had bought and realized what was happening at this very moment. As the mists receded, no longer under the effects of Amond's influence, the dead shall scatter and their souls given proper rest until this place was reduced to a glass floor. But now, a new shadow looms over the Necropolis, as the symbol of life now reaches into the clouds, completely blocking out the sun before it finally stops its invasion into the heavens. Indeed it could be seen from the Palace of Tears. The power of the gods was potent; Ryan could feel it now; it was more powerful than he had ever seen Lyse ever use up until now. Of course, nothing less was to be expected when fighting a god, Ryan supposed.

Ryan was no fool. He knew precisely why Lyse had sent him away, and he wasn't in the mood to argue that he could go toe to toe with something like this. He's done his part. Now it's his job that Lyse fulfilled his. Still, the conversation he had with Thanatos jars him. Not the exchange itself, no, though he isn't sure about making deals with death gods was the smartest of moves he has made. But it was something else. That feeling again. He remembered when he talked to Zagreus. And again, when he used the powers of the gods. This other force. It wasn't comforting, almost like it was trying to take over him. Again he checked the six rings of tattoos on his arms. They were the same as before; only one of the six slightly faded compared to the rest. He wished to question all of this but did not have the time. So instead, Ryan tapped into the power of Hermes and sprinted in the direction of the god tree.

(X)

Areia could not believe her eyes as the branches crested over the clouds and out of view. It was a lot of power for a godling that had barely left the nest. She was worried, she had to admit. Not of this, no. But of him. She was worried that he lacked it, the spark. The passion for battle and war she so often seeks. That he would not be able to test her abilities that have been deprived of utilization. But his words before it revealed it to her. She may not be as cunning as her other epithets, but she knew enough to see his hatred was apparent. And hatred was all the passion she could ask for. She watched the swaying branches of the tree, wriggling and writhing with the invisible powers of the gods, prepare to do the bidding of its wrathful creator. Every limb, every flower, and every leaf was the manifestation of this man's hatred for this battle. His passion, she can see, lies only in doing all that he can to protect his loved ones. Good, as long as she can receive the battle she craves. It made her squirm just thinking about it.

"Oh dear," she sighed breathlessly. "All of this for me. Show me, Lyse Opal. Show me why they warned me about you!"

Two massive branches, as thick as houses, descended upon her. She dodged, jumping into the air and onto one of the branches as they sprayed dirt and sand in all directions, sending plumes into the air. She summoned two machetes-like blades, heavy on the ends, as she could see smaller branches splitting off from the central cluster. Like hostile snakes, they made their way toward her. Her blades sliced through them, but not with ease. The branches put up much more resistance than Areia anticipated; they must be as hard as iron. Latching onto her anywhere they could, she was plenty impeded moving forward as the limbs became thicker and more persistent. For any one branch she cut away, another two would pursue her. She kept moving, leaping from tree branch to tree branch to keep out and ascending further up where he was no doubt hidden. That was when she came upon the components that carried flowers and fruit. The branch's pursuit did not at all let up; it got worse. So many of them she even had to cut through scoffs to get a purchase. The leaves were like razors and toxic, but not enough to puncture her skin or depower her. Not until he met one of the flowers.

It was quickly the size of a house, a massive bulb of greens and reds laid tucked within one of the many writhing branches. It was when she came within reasonable proximity to the plant that she realized its function. Its pedals immediately unfurled, and thousands of sharpened spores were within it. They shot out in all directions. She had no choice but to summon two shields to protect herself. Their tops are embedded in celestial bronze. She switched them again for a pair of the flaming gladius. As she landed on a branch, digging a foot into the wood, it immediately erupted in fire. The tree limbs slowed before completely stopping, overcome by the heat as the dry air fanned the flames to spread further. That was when she noticed another flower budding nearby, this time a deep brown with freckles of purple. Its peddles opened too, but unlike the needle plant, this one only had a single gaping hole in the middle. And out came a cloud of thick purple fumes that rapidly filled the area around her. In one whiff, she knew this was poison, much more potent venom. She immediately launched away from the tree, using her arms to cover her nose and mouth as the pollen burned her skin and eyes. But as she was about fifty feet away, more tree limbs came back alive, grabbing her around her waist and pulling her back into the fumes. She was forced to drop her weapons and cover her eyes, nose, and mouth as the pollen got thicker. The branches did not let up, surrounding and constricting her wherever possible till she was completely immobilized in a perfect sphere of wood and flowers surrounding her.