Chapter 17 The Forest of Ice

Edlund felt stiff upon Myre, looking upon his legion that stood at attention patiently as others just like them organized in neat blocks. Row by row. These formations have become the staple of the empire's warfare tactics over the past few centuries. Predominantly used in the outlands and more recently against the far more structured Frostlandic forces they have been encountering as of late. A legion was to act almost like a small independent army. They have their infantry, pikemen, a few knights, and archers in the back. Overall the force was relatively small, just over two hundred in total, including himself, Gray, Elena, and Dagmyre, who sat on their horses just beside him. All knights were to stand in front of their legion and lead the march besides their captain, and they were there to make sure that the man giving orders didn't die, which was both a good and bad thing. It was a good tactic, as this guaranteed the safety of whoever the knights were protecting. A bad thing because that meant that Edlund would, unfortunately, see scant action. Edlund had hoped that he would be in line with Gray and Elena and be bodyguards to whomever they were under command. But he forgot he wasn't just some knight now. Edlund was a prince. And that alone came with its expectations, high ones.

It wasn't like Edlund was unprepared for the position. Battle formations, signals, command structure, and communications were all things taught to him in training. But practice is often a distant cousin to application, and that alone frightened him a bit, far more than the actual threat he would face in the coming hours. Already have they left the safety of the Bastillon some two hours back? He had two hundred men, perhaps much more, settled on his shoulders now. He has faced monsters before, but this was different. At least he was in control of himself and knew that it would be himself on the line if he failed. But now, it seemed that he would be helping send these men and women to their deaths. He tried pacing his thoughts; focusing on simpler things often helped. Edlund knew exactly what his master Gabbes would say to chastise him at this moment. Straighten your back; look proper. You should be a shining beacon to your men, telling them, "we are not here to fight; we will conquer." And he tried his most damn to put off that air. But as the lines became more organized and the reality of the coming battle settled within minds, Edlund only sensed a wave of nerves come his way.

"Have to say," Dagmyre straddled a little closer. Edlund grimaced but allowed him to continue with a nod. "Looks like the Legionnaire of war has decided to pity you."

"In hat way?" he asked.

Dagmyre gave a simple gesture to the men. "I recognize a few. They've been here longer than most. At least we'll have the competent lot and not the wagoners."

Edlund stayed silent for a moment. If what Dagmyre said was indeed true, he did not like it. Sure, it might have been a gesture of security to make sure that in the case that some slip-up happens, whether it be from either side, Edlund would have more support. But it proved yet another expectation, which put a sour one in his mouth. They did not expect much from him, he could tell. He was not the actual son by the blood of the legendary right-hand King James, just a war orphan. That is why Edlund knew that he would have to be bold and prove to them why both he and Lyse became Valorian knights in the first place.

But then something startled Edlund out of his contemplative mood. A familiar aura he hadn't felt in quite some time. He looked to see Gabbes riding up to them with a pleasant smile with some surprise. Edlund almost forgets how well-presented a man like him was. He seemed so relaxed in the saddle one would mistake he was just going on some merry stroll through the fields. But anyone with half a mind could tell he was still a gifted knight even at his age. He was their master, after all, and trained both him, Lyse along countless others. His marks as a knight are nothing to sneeze at either.

"Gabbes," Edlund turned to him. "It's good to see you stretching out those old legs."

Gabbes gave him a rye grin but responded. "You know, training youngsters is all well and good, but I thought now would be a good time to get back into the fray."