Chapter 4 Promises

Massua was getting bored. At least she took solace; she was not the only one cursed to this fate. At least her brothers may share in her discomfort.

The event started relatively early in the evening. And of course, many of the higher brass and nobility that had flocked to Liontari on notice could not decline the offer, no matter how unfavored this new queen was amongst some of them. Massua didn't know just how many such people, though, there were. Governors, mayors, lords and ladies, generals and commanders, wealthy merchants, knights, and on and on. There were more people in this room than the entirety of their village, it seemed, all somehow significant enough to warrant their arrival. The crowd that she saw before them was a mesmerizing array of flashy clothing attached with the latest trends, expensive fabrics from all sorts of far-off places. And not just from Liontari either. Some came from their sister clans, others diplomats or elites from the Outland territories of Hath. She even swore she saw a man who may even be from the far eastern kingdoms, a sight indeed.

But of course, none of these people were there to hear from the queen making all sorts of waves since her appointment to the role. So what will she do next? She has shown to be rather bold and aggressive, an attribute that anyone of the Empire could admire. But will she prove worthy of the throne? Only time will tell. The pilgrimage to the Wild Halls and meeting with the other sovereigns of their sister clans will undoubtedly suffice. So, for now, this was a party of greetings, as various people routinely approach to introduce themselves title first and give greetings to the royal family. Unfortunately, by the sixth or seventh noble family from some Outland territory she never heard of, she felt like tearing her hair out. Vermilliaa was, of course, lucky, as she appeared to be unconscious for now to witness her suffering with her. But as always, when Vermilliaa was asleep, there was this cold feeling, like she was in the middle of a fight and realized she was suddenly naked. And with so many people around, their presence did not so quickly quell her anxiety.

"I could kill for something a bit heavier," Edlund whispered, downing a glass of thin alcohol. She noticed that Lyse hadn't touched his cup at all.

"You know how you get around the stronger stuff," Lyse whispered back. "Mom had to haul you back home by the cuff. And the other time they found you in the field with your pants-"

"That was two years ago," Edlund hissed. "I've gotten much better at handling myself."

"I'll have to see it to believe it," Massua whispered over, trying not to be heard by her mother speaking with Lupren for a moment. "I'm already rather impressed that you have lasted this long, and your pants are still on your ass."

"Go suck on a goat's foot," Edlund said.

"I would rather it be that you all at least try to act like you have some decency," their mother's cool flowed over them all, sending familiar and embarrassing chills down their spines.

"It's merely banter, mother," Lyse said. "It's not like we can socialize at all. But, look, they already started the dances."

"Besides, we do have much to catch up about, you know," Massua asserted. "Nearly a year, mother, and it's obviously by the size of his head that he has not been given good offenses. You shame us, Lyse."

"I think I've had more important things to worry about than the size of Edlund's head, sister."

"Hey now, how about we talk about something other than my head, yes?"

"Like what?" Massua asked coyly.

"I don't know; how about your little pilgrimage out to the Wild Halls," Edlund shook his head. "Forgive me, mother, but I am still baffled why you chose this gremlin to follow you around."