Chapter 42 The Azure Bay

Ryan took a huge sigh of relief, seeing the massive ivory walls of the Azure Bay cresting over the horizon. In all honesty, he thought they never get here, and he and Lyse would wander the deserts distracted by all sorts of problems. Yet seeing their destination come into view in such a way seemed almost unreal to him. It wasn't like they hadn't done any good on their travels. The pedestrians that walked the same roads they did were proof of their good deeds. Of course, that monstrous shroud still remains over that portion of the ashen roads, and they at least have passage to the merchant travelers on their way to Azure Bay, same as them. That band of raiders will no longer pester the road's many residents, and he has learned some of the many talents the pendant may offer him. But now, as he nears what appeared to be the end of their quest, his rightful vengeance for the innocent children slain at the behest of Amond, he feels his mind wonder about all the possibilities.

Ryan was distracted from his dark thoughts by the look on Lyse's face. In no other occasion was it made clear that the prince has seen little of the world than now. How he marveled at the gently slopped, bright walls of Azure Bay portrayed such an innocent curiosity that one could only smile in amusement. His pegasus, however, did not seem amused. The great beast seemed to care little for humans and their various settlements; Vire was a creature of the skies, after all. Still, Ryan was sure that Lyse would like to explore every inch of this place at some point; hopefully, it was after they had done what they came here to do. It was a grand sight, the many domed ceilings, reflecting the blue skies, sloping organic architecture, and tall towers made Azure Bay a magnific presence. Not only but it also housed a significant portion of the trade coming in from the Southern Seas. Peering out into the ocean, one could see dozens, perhaps hundreds, of merchant vessels making landfall or departing. Along with the mighty Asedian Royal Fleet, meaning that the prince still resided in the Palace in the direct center of the city. The Palace of Tears, it was called, was surrounded by thirteen towers that loomed over all, said to represent the thirteen children of the Djinn emperor. Ryan has only seen it from afar, and hearing stories of what they did to trespassers, he wasn't fond of trying his luck.

"Remember," Ryan told him. "We aren't here for sightseeing, prince."

"Of course," Lyse said guiltlessly. "But we will have to find somewhere to settle down, you know."

"What does that mean?" Ryan asked.

"I mean, we can't very well just stroll into the abode of this prince and demand an audience, can we? These things have procedures and customs."

"Seems like a hassle," Ryan sighed, then smiled. "You know, why can't we sneak in and capture Amond completely unaware."

"Ryan," Lyse called his bluff. "We should find a place to stay. An Inn or Caravanserai?"

"First we'll have to register ourselves as travelers," Ryan said. "Can't enter the city, otherwise."

He pointed near the wall, down the trail. In truth, there was almost another small city entirely surrounding Azure Bay, bleeding onto the beaches. These were modest housings for those who were either slaves or poor refugees trying to make their way into citizenship with She'Ased. Lyse had heard that the process was quite grueling. Of course, one could simply serve in the Asedian military to guarantee not only your citizenship but of your family as well. No wonder they have a standing army even greater in number than the Thiria with such incentive, and with the two at relative peace, the reward far exceeded the risks. Still, he couldn't help but acknowledge the lack of military guarding the roads as he expected. Indeed they weren't so lax as to not expect anyone to cause trouble out here. So many people from so many lands and so many interests. Then again, with what he hears of the fearsome power the children of the Djinn king are capable of, only the foolish and the desperate are willing to cause any amount of trouble here.