Chapter 14 Desperate Times

Edlund looked out over the horizon from atop the higher walls of the fortress. He could climb to one of the watchtowers for a greater view but felt disturbing the lookouts wouldn't be worth the effort. Besides, he didn't just come up here to survey their battlefield. He has been drilled in practically every inch of the surrounding terrain till he could navigate it blindfolded. He has friends close by, worthy knights, and even his own army to look after. No, none of this terrified him. After all, he has been through so far in his life, this sort of challenge did little to faze him at this moment. But what scared him the most was much deeper. This is officially the furthest he has been from any family. Celia and Massia would be at the Wild Halls by now. Lyse is on the other side of the continent searching for more godslayers. It's just him here. There's no one to fall back on, no one to go to when he needs help. but when has he ever needed help. He's always been the type of kid to ram through problems rather than solve them like Lyse. He found a sort of dignity in his brutish nature then, as if in defiance to the ways of knights that he found idiotic. This of course put him at odds with many of his fellow trainees. And he remembers, now, one distinct moment in his younger years.

    They were on a lunch break. As with every meal, they had little time for pleasure, and all the time was taken up devouring as much as possible for even more conditioning later in the day. Grueling task after grueling task and the instructors had been extra hard on them when anyone lagged behind. And more often than not, that was Edlund of course. This got so bad sometimes that Gabbes had to take him aside on multiple occasions to give him private lessons. This further ostracized him. Already he was a war orphan, no name besides his first, and little respect for the traditions of knights. And any time the other kids found him alone, or at least without Lyse by his side, that was their opportunity to vent their aggressions.

      "Just leave already," one of the older kids said. He was a merchant's son, a foreigner from the outlands a little northeast of Silondras itself. He was exotic and had a high seat in the social standings due to his inherent skill with the blade. He, out of all the kids, was most disdainful hearing that Gabbes had to take time to give him private lessons. "Do you know how hard it is to get an actual knight to teach us in a village like this, baby? Especially one of his caliber. And he has to waste his time on some farmer who can't swing swords correctly."

   He flung his half-eaten apple at Edlund, which he deflected away and stood to meet the boy. He was a good hand taller than Edlund, shower, and three years older. Even without his two goons at his side, Edlund doubted that he could beat him in a fight. Besides, fighting was prohibited after all. But Edlund couldn't let go of the insult thrown at him, and he was sick of them ridiculing their family as farmers. He was ready to prove them wrong. And that was when Lyse returned to the training grounds with a fresh padded coat. His had to be repaired after a bad trip through the forest, so head Celia quickly repair it during their scheduled lunch. She was always quick with such things, though Edlund wished she was a bit slower. He couldn't bear the look on their faces once he arrived. It was like they were on different planes of existence, as Lyse stirred hesitance into the hearts of everyone. He was the star student of Gabbes. Perhaps not the best, and Gabbes certainly does not play favorites. But if anyone had to choose who to represent BrokenArrow, they would send Lyse. And Edlund always hated how people changed like that so suddenly. Lyse walked up to the scene, took one glance around, and gave that knowing smile to them all.

      "We need not be uncivil," he said. "Why not a duel then, just to keep things fair."

     "A duel?" the merchant's son had fought Lyse before and won. however, the victory wasn't an easy one whatsoever, and he won on points rather than a knockdown or disarm. "This doesn't have anything to do with you Lyse. Just your brother."