Interlude 1 House of Pesmenos

Founded long ago, a Thirian noble decided to make a name for himself in the outlands of the far east. Guided by principles of strength and prestige, the city-state of Polmachia was formed as a haven for every craft of warfare under the sun. A bastion of the art of war, where many people came to learn from masters of the noblest of backgrounds in martial arts and sorcery. The Pesmenos family prided itself on providing the most impressive combatants the world has ever seen, keeping in close companion to its Thirian roots; they were a beacon of virtue and diligence in the outlands, a rare sight. Every generation one of their own is sent to travel the world and learn a new art or technique to be brought back and shared with their brethren, further adding to their arsenal of specialty and connections to the world of martial arts.

Cara Pesmenos, a renowned scholar, gifted in both the martial arts of knights and well versed in Torlakian magic, brought even more acclaim to the family. Taught by the soon to be grandmaster Remmus Mythweaver, she showed plenty promise and an easy contender for the role herself. Her ability made her an frequent guest in the house of Outland royalty and certain hired jobs. She was a prodigy by all accounts, and her mild and humbled attitude certainly helped her image among Thirian nobility.

Ryan Pesmenos's birth marked a new era, however. As rumors has it, he was stolen from his crib but a day after his birth, forcing the family to launch a massive search of the entire area. They feared the worst. But the young baby was found not but a few miles outside the city itself in a field a few days later. Ryan was set on an altar surrounded by ten black stone pillars covered in archaic symbols that matched no current magical systems. The ordeal, while a scare, foreshadowed the mystery surrounding what could only be described as a boy beyond natural born talent for violence. A quick learner in combat, even compared to his sister. Strength unfit for his age and a clever, charming personality made him an enigmatic figure in no time. Instead of wasting time in lectures, he would instead venture to the woods to practice constantly only to be admonished by his parents. They did not discourage his work ethic, however, and he was shaping up to be a promising warrior in the future. His relationship with his older sister was reportedly well kept, despite her absence. The young man revealed in her presence, eager to show her his progress, and intrigued in what she brought from her own studies. One such took her to Shi'Ased where she studied under magi and djinn. However, things seemed to change after these teachings.

The young woman began questioning and arguing against her parents, their roles and attachments to the Empire from which they hailed from. These moments were passing and sparse, but noteworthy nonetheless. However, tragedy struck when she was reportedly killed by mercenaries hired by a Asedian official. Though justice was served, the pain of her lost was felt by all. But the most significant event was underway.

The city was seized and burned to the ground in what appeared to be a massive attack in the dead of night. The Persmenos family, all it had built, was destroyed, and its legacy turned to blood and dust. In a single night, they were brutally wiped from the mortal world, leaving no heirs, and survived by no one. Ryan alone sustains the teaching of his home, harnessing them to make a living among thieves and bounty hunters. Only he carries their name silently.