Chapter 18 The Wild Halls

Massia felt jolted awake. It was a bizarre feeling as if you were just a moment ago falling, and your body needed to react. But as she got her bearings and rational thought came back to her, she knew that she was just in the carriage. She was not yet used to Vermilliaa's sign to wake up. She said it was the only way to pull her back from the world of dreams without outright endangering them both. Still, though, she wished that she did not look like a fool every time this must happen. Her mother always seemed unbothered, assuming it to be a starling dream, but if she kept prying, Massia was unsure how much she could hide from her mother. Celia was a wise person, always knowing what was going on in the lives around her, especially her children. And Massia should know, her brother is much the same way. That is what made him an excellent teacher to her.

She wished she had developed that skill, to know what people think. That was, in fact, the point in these lessons that she and her mother have been conducting now and again for the last six months. Every so often, whether in the middle of some public event or political hearings, Celia would quiz her about what she thought people were thinking about her, the situation, and what they wanted out of it. This only accomplished making her a bit more than paranoid, as every attempt that some random noble made to converse with her turned into an attempted assassination. She has gotten better, of course. She knows why this Black Hand was with them now, more than likely attending the Wild Hall meeting, and is working closely with Celia to achieve something. Unfortunately, something is out of her grasp at the moment, mainly because this Black Hand constantly hesitates to talk in front of her. Even now, noticing that she was awake,t eh man seemed to fade a bit, his form trying to reach to nearby shadows to hide him, but he was still in conversation at the time. So instead, he worded his words more carefully.

"As for what of the others," he said. "We can question their loyalties, but unless our mother makes any moves, we cannot determine who and who isn't with the enemy."

Celia solemnly nodded, drumming her fingers on the book Novia left with her. "Very well. If all goes according to plan, we might see a new era arise. Morning, Massia. It is in good time. Your awake now. We should be arriving at the Wild Halls any minute."

"Wait," Massia felt the stiffness within her as she stretched. "I was asleep?"

Celia nodded, briefly looking at the Black Hand. He seemed to take some hidden message from her eyes as he immediately opened the window and climbed out. The movement was so smooth that Massia doubted even the driver would have noticed. But he was a strange man. But now that the window was open, she could see more of their surroundings. The path, somehow, was even more forested than before. They were genuinely headed to the forest's heart, where the magic that governs life here grew stronger. Trees closely packed together, ever so eager to intrude upon the roads. If the path hadn't been well maintained, no doubt such a large caravan such as this would have no chance of traversing to the Wild Halls. But now, as she looked out, she saw other Thirian knights moving within the trees and other caravans bearing different coats of arms. She realized that these were of their sister kingdoms.

"Where is Novia?" Massia asked.

"Well, I sent her off to announce us," she said. "She will be waiting with the other paladins for all members of this assembly to arrive. Poor thing was never good at these sorts of events."

"And yet you still send her to her despair," Massia chided.

"It is her duty as a knight," she said. "And besides, she has heavily endeared thanks to being an extension of James' goodwill in the past. Her presence would no doubt ease their tensions."

"Forgive me if I'm the wrong mother, but you are sounding a tad nervous, aren't you."

Celia smiled, but her look was a bit distant. "Child, if only you knew what was to come."