CHAPTER FIVE - SIENNA

It's Rhys' birthday today and we all chipped in to buy him a tiramisu cake from his favourite Italian restaurant

The poor guy has been holed up in his office all night going over CCTV for the police because of an incident earlier in the day, so hopefully this coffee cake treat will cheer him up.

I volunteer to go pick it up and leave the others to sign his birthday card. It's nice to get out of that stuffy place for five minutes to cool down a bit.

When I reach the zebra crossing on the high street, I stop on the spot, noticing Beau across the road, sitting in the restaurant window with Carly opposite him.

I stare at them. At him. At his perfectly styled dark hair that's getting a little long now, a little out of control, but suits him perfectly. Long enough to tug on when he makes it his entire mission to give you as many orgasms as he can in one night.

Long enough to grip when you're having a mental breakdown and having him there is the only way you can see getting out of it.

A beeping car brings me back to the present, the driver motioning angrily at me when I put up my hand to apologise for dawdling.

Carly is laughing harder at him.

My insides hurt.

Especially when Beau tips his head back to laugh, too.

I sneak inside the restaurant, cringing when the bell above the door jingles, hearing my best friend's deep voice telling a story. And his date's loud laughter. Oh, god.

Lucky for me, I'm protected by the flower arrangements all the way to the front desk. The lovely lady I spoke to when ordering the cake greets me, pulling the huge cake box out of the fridges behind her.

There's a huge amount of homemade cakes sitting in the fridge next to the boxed ones as well, all looking divine. The fruit gateau is something else.

"Is that everything, honey?" The sweet lady asks me, but I'm too tempted by the cakes to answer right away.

"Sorry, no. Please can I get two slices of the fruit gateau and a couple of your chocolate scones?" I reply.

She turns, opening the fridge to fill a fresh box with my goodies. "Good choice here. These scones are the most popular thing on our entire menu. There's hidden chocolate chips in the middle."

"Sounds wonderful." I laugh, asking for her to leave a scone out so I can munch on it on my way back to work.

Once I finish paying, I carry the boxes in a carrier bag and have a huge scone in my free hand, but slipping out of here unnoticed is impossible now Beau has full sight of me.

He jumps, alert, a few emotions flashing across his face as he goes to stand up. I stay where I am, conscious of the looks I'm getting from Carly.

She looks me up and down, slowly until her eyes skirt over to Beau who's motioning me over there. No. Now is not the time for introductions, but I'm walking their way regardless.