EPILOGUE

My daughter is amazing

My daughter is amazing. I can't get enough of spending time with her, and watching Sienna be the best mother in the world to her completes me.

I'm driving them to see Sienna's newly renovated flat. It's taken just over a year, but it's finally ready.

I relish in the gummy smile our daughter throws me as I unbuckle her car seat straps, pulling her out so Sienna can wrap her up in the baby sling. Little Delilah adores being close to us, nestling straight away in the warmth of our chests.

"She's being nosy today," Sienna laughs when we make our way to the flat complex entrance. I spy Delilah's big blue eyes poking out of the side gaps of the baby sling, gums on show as soon as she spots me looking.

I use the pass key to get inside, holding the door for them. Sienna wraps her arms around Delilah's back, chatting away happily as we take the stairs to her flat.

We already have a tenant interested. An old family friend's daughter who we can trust to pay on time and not trash the place.

"Let's wait for Daddy to open the door," she says, smiling at me when I pass her to reach the door. "Oh, I think she's asleep already."

"As soon as she gets the warmth of your chest, she's out like a light," I reply, holding the door open.

It's so bright in here now from all the LEDs we fitted into the ceilings, knowing they'll be better in the long run because of their twenty-year guarantee. Nothing is worse than changing a new lightbulb every other week, so these new innovative bulbs are perfect for the job.

"This place looks amazing," she says, turning in a circle to take it all in, pointing to the now open-plan kitchen. "They were knocking down a wall that was there the last time we were here."

"Crazy, isn't it?" I say, taking her fingers to give her a tour of the other rooms. "It's taken them long enough, but I'm pretty happy with the end product. Are you happy with it, sweetie?"

She tilts her head back to throw me a smile. "Yes. Couldn't be any happier."

I lean down for a quick kiss, rubbing her nose with mine as we pull back at the sound of something knocking on the front door.

Sienna breezes past me to see who it is. "I invited Mum here because she's interviewing for that receptionist job at the Women's Aid this morning."

"Oh, that was today?" I reply, following her to the door, watching Paulina rub Sienna's arm and aim straight for Delilah.

The automatic smile on Sienna's face settles me. It's okay. I can hold back. I'm never going to feel a hundred percent comfortable around her, but I'm trying.

For my girls, I'll try.

Little Delilah has healed certain parts of their relationship that Sienna never dared to wish for, witnessing her mother be what she should have been to her for her daughter.