CHAPTER FIFTEEN - SIENNA

We drive all the way around town when Beau arrives back home after a tense conversation with his family about the threats

We drive all the way around town when Beau arrives back home after a tense conversation with his family about the threats. I think I speak for both of us when I say I'm unsettled and restless while I fight with so many thoughts while the street lights pass by the car.

The road seems to stretch endlessly ahead as it takes us past twenty-four-hour supermarkets, dark houses, empty school playgrounds and crop fields. There's no rhyme or reason; we drive.

"Everything will be okay," Beau says, distracting me from looking out of the car window.

I grab his hand. "I know it will."

He brings my knuckle to his mouth to spread warm kisses there. "I think you need to step back from working so many hours. Or at least ask for day shifts until we get a grip on things. I don't trust him not to show up there."

Monsoon's is all I know.

My comfort zone, but he's right about me spending less time there.

Jezza probably knows he could turn up whenever and find me there, which now turns it into a danger zone.

"I can't just demand less time or make demands on when I work," I say, shaking my head.

"That guy seems to want to do anything for you," he grumbles, pushing his fingers through mine to squeeze my hand.

I frown. "What guy?"

"Rhys," he says, giving little looks my way as he waits for the traffic lights to turn green. "It seems he's keen to please you."

"He's my boss," I say, laughing until he throws me a warning look. "But, he is my boss. There's nothing to it."

"Just think back to all the times he's jumped at the chance to come to your aid. Just take a moment and think about it," he replies, pissing me off.

"Yes, because he's a good person."

"You're beautiful. Inside and out. It always surprises me how you don't see it," he says, confusing me.

"Thank you?"

"See?" He laughs, but it's more of a desperate sound. "It's almost refreshing to be around someone who's so incredibly gorgeous - in every single way - but doesn't see it."

My cheeks blush as his intense stare switches over my face, going back to focusing on the road when the traffic light turns green. We drive for longer in silence, the sounds of the radio and the tyres hitting the tarmac filling the car.

"Rhys has been there for me. I won't have you talk badly about him." It's not fair, and he doesn't deserve it.

He doesn't respond. Almost like he can't. My head starts swimming with thoughts, ideas and questions.

"You're not hearing what I'm saying," he replies. His voice softer this time, more shy.

I frown. "I don't think I am, either. You're confusing the heck out of me. It's almost like you're jealous of him or something."