BONUS#3 BABY'S FIRST STEPS

Beau

My heart is so whole. Delilah is wobbling towards me with her arms outstretched, Sienna behind her with her arms out to guard her should she fall.

We're both shouting like a pair of stupid sods, laughing, singing our encouragement as our daughter takes her first steps.

Delilah is shouting back at us, cooing and squealing as she concentrates on putting one foot in front of the other. It's magical. SO MAGICAL!

I'm not ashamed to say tears are streaming down my face, blinding me as I reach out, her fingertips touching mine before she falls into my embrace, babbling as I scoop her up and spin her around.

I kiss all over her face, transferring those over to Sienna when she comes up behind her to hug us both close.

"Who's our little walker?" Sienna says, ruffling Delilah's belly, who opens her arms. "Let's see if you can do it again, baby."

I follow after them when Sienna heads towards the bi-fold doors to go outside. "Where are you going?"

She looks at me over her shoulder, giving me a small smile. "I wanted to video her to send to everyone, and it's so pretty out here now the blossom is here."

"It's a little blustery out here, bubs," I say, pulling my phone out anyway when they both seem so happy to be outside.

Sienna puts Delilah down on her bottom on the grass, the cute cream wool leggings now slightly wet. They have their private little conversation before Delilah rolls forward to use her hands as a guide to get her up, bottom in the air, as she prepares herself.

"Go on, angel! Daddy's filming you," I shout, turning into a pile of mush when she throws me an uncoordinated wave as she manages to rise to her feet.

"Da," she shouts, starting strong, each leg pounding after the other, loose curls blowing everywhere in the wind. "Brrrrrrrrah!"

I lower to my knees, flitting between watching her on my phone screen and lifting my eyes above to get it in real time. "This is Delilah's first steps outside everyone. Isn't she amazing?"

My parents will gobble this up whole, probably forwarding it to everyone they know. I always knew they cherished her, but spotting a picture of our daughter sitting in her high chair, face covered with chocolate pudding in the latest AdvertsGo newsletter was a pinch-me moment.

"Go, little Dee, go, go, go!" Sienna shouts, her excitement rubbing off when Delilah's step quickens. "Go on, squidge!

A heavy gust of wind blows between us, sending Delilah toppling to her bum, body rocking back and rolling to the side. I'm rushing to the floor, expecting the worst, when she surprises me.

Her face scrunches up, a loud, devilish laugh escaping her as she motions for me to help her back onto her feet to rush off again. She's determined, making me believe she could stay up from her will to walk alone, but the wind is stronger today.

"Aoooooh," she says, rocking and rolling for a second time, chuckling loudly to herself. "Mah!"

Sienna is helplessly laughing with her, growing more hysterical when Delilah deliberately throws herself to the ground on her back and belly laughs.

They can't move for laughing, and it's totally catching. The video I'm currently taking is jolting all over the place, with all our laughs taking over.

Delilah manages to get herself to her feet, stomping away from us, the baggy bottom letting us know she needs her nappy changing, but her mind is on other things as she squeals, wriggling her tiny fingers as her arms rest out beside her.

"She's amazing," Sienna breathes, so much maternal pride on her face when she rushes after her. "Let mummy help."

She steps behind Delilah and takes her hands, both walking around the garden. Fizzy, our eight-month-old cat— a gift to Delilah from dad— sitting inside the conservatory on the window ledge as she watches us.

I don't know what he was thinking about gifting us an animal in the first year of us bringing up a baby, but that's my dad. And Delilah adores the cat's bones, so giving her back isn't an option.

"Da!" Delilah shouts, telling me to watch with the tone in her voice. I look away from the cat and slowly run towards her; Sienna grins back, the sweet little squeal leaving Delilah, warming every part of me as they rush away.

icon lock

Show your support for Holly Ellis, and continue reading this story

by Holly Ellis
@HTEllis
*Best Friends To Lovers* BOOK ONE. THE LARSSON LEGACY SERIES. SIENNA...
Unlock a new story part or the entire story. Either way, your Coins help writers earn money for the stories you love.

This story has 4 remaining parts

See how Coins support your favorite writers like @HTEllis.