CHAPTER SIX - SIENNA

Past

Past...

My back hurts so bad! I made mummy's friend very mad last night when I walked into mummy's bedroom when they were in there.

I don't know what he was doing to mummy, but it scared me and he started hitting me with something hard when I cried.

I didn't mean to walk into their room!

My belly was sick. I hate being sick and mummy wouldn't help me, not even after her friend kept hitting me.

He says it's my fault, that I don't ever learn.

I wish I knew how to learn. How to get my mummy to love me. She says some children are never worth being loved. It makes me feel sad.

My best friend, Beau's mummy and daddy love him. He's so lucky!

Now I'm waiting outside on the wet bench near my school and it's dark. Where is mummy? I'm scared of the dark and my back hurts.

"Sienna!"

The rain is so bad it's making my hair stick to my face, but I recognise Beau's mummy's voice. I jump to my feet and burst into tears, hugging her when she crouches in front of me.

"Oh, my gosh. It's okay, baby. It's okay," she says, pulling me close.

I count to ten like mummy tells me to when something hurts.

My back. My back!

"Quick, Dee. Get her in the car," Beau's daddy, Edward, says, and Delilah picks me up and runs towards the car.

Beau is on his booster seat, watching me when his mum strips me of my soggy school jumper and wraps me in Beau's dressing gown.

It's a Groot one from the Marvel films.

I don't look at him because he left me all alone and played with the boys again instead of me today at break time.

"I'm so sorry. I'm so sorry, baby," Delilah says, kissing my cheeks. I smile. I love her. I wish she were my mummy.

"Here, she needs to eat something," Edward says, and Delilah gives me some McDonald's fries.

I love him, too, but big men are scary.

Yummy fries. Does everyone eat at night time? Beau says his family always do, but I don't. 

Beau takes off his seatbelt and crawls towards me. I show him the fries, thinking he's hungry, but he wants to hug me instead.

One, two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight, nine, ten.

"Suck those tears in, Sienna. Good girls don't cry when it is their fault. You're a very naughty girl." That is what mummy said to me this morning.