hatching a plan

KATIE POV

My jaw drops.

Kassie is in the bathroom as asked for but so is Kally. And Luke. And Terrence. And last of all, Ken. He has his back leaning against the bathroom door, making sure it can't open.
I can already hear a few knocks and Ken comment for them to go to another bathroom because this one's occupied. He can get away with it because most kids also use the restroom for targeting. I gulp. I hope Kassie didn't turn on me, and I'm about to get beaten. My first suit has one more hit on it and I don't even have my helmet on.

"Kassie why...."
"Kassies been feeling down and wanted a pick me up. We all have figured out that keeping you around has helped a lot so we want to thank you. I know of a place thatll let east dorm and west dorm in," Ken's Snow White teeth stretch into a Cheshire Cat smile. My eyes flick towards Kassie. She smiles at me.
"And don't worry. It's on Friday so you have time to think about it." Ken continues.
"I don't know about this," Terrence says in a questioning voice. He's standing protectively by my side. Kassie looks up at ken.
"Where are you taking us?" Kassie smiles up at him. I can't imagine Kassie bringing someone with her that would hurt me. She's too kind. Maybe he was just putting up a mean front for the crowd. Maybe he's not so bad after all.
"We're going to the party cave," ken says.
"Really?" Kally sputters.
"Karaoke night is the one night that east dorm and west dorm can come to the party cave. Whoever scores the best gets the party cave all to their dorm until the next week." Ken smiles.
"No way," Terrence says under his breath.
"Ask people if there's a karaoke night, go ahead," he says. "Anyone else will tell you it happens." Ken's eyes glitter.
Terrence looks at Luke.
"He's not lying right?" Terrence asks.
"Yeah there's a karaoke night," he admits.
I don't want to go. I don't trust Ken. But Kassies face looks so excited.
"I'll go," I say dryly after a pause.
There's nods of approval.
"Now we should all get going before someone thinks something unfortunate," Kally adds making her way to the door.
She leaves first with Kassie.
Luke leaves a little after that.
Then it's just Ken, Terrence, and I.
Ken opens the door for him like a foot man.
"You first," he croons. Terrence glances at me in worry and then steps back out into the hallway.

"I notice you're not too thrilled about this whole thing," Ken says quietly as I step towards the door.
"It's too bad," I say.
"What is?"
"Looks like they think you're up to something good," I say. He looks taken aback.
"I'm doing this for Kassie," I add my eyes glued to his ocean ones. His sparkle in a mad curiosity. He always has this look of trouble lingering in his eyes. He's not trustworthy.
"I am too," he says smoothly.
I look back into his eyes belligerently.
"I've seen the way you look at the kids from my dorm. Even the way you look towards the kids in your own dorm. You're prideful and selfish and I don't think you'd go out of your way to do something that nice for one of your friends," I cross my arms. He's holding me up now. I should get going.
"So you've been keeping an eye on me," he smiles.
"I'm measuring up the competition," I spit. He looks at me and raises his eyebrows.
"Tell you what, when I prove you wrong about me, which I doubtlessly will, I expect an apology."
"Deal." I growl. He smiles once more and then leaves the rest room.
I wait five minutes then emerge.
I'm walking down the hall when my shoulder rams into someone else's. Something drops to the ground. I pick it up and look up at the person.
"I'm sorry, but you dropped this," the face I'm looking at is Rose Cummings'. She smiles.
"Keep it," and then she walks away. I look down, it's a note like the one I gave to Kassie a few periods ago.
Saturday night meet in my office. -RC
I look down the hall after her and then ahead. Most people hadn't noticed at all, but there's one pair of eyes that are glued to me.
Amy.
It's been that way for weeks now. She spends most of her time alone, and hangs out with Terrence from time to time. But I've caught her looking at me more than usual, and I have no idea what it means.