I understand

Kassie pov

I feel stupid and sad. I never would have thought Katie wanted to kill me. That her family deserted mine when we needed help the most. No matter what she could say it will never be enough. My people have suffered for years now, my mother has slaved away keeping this nation afloat while Katie grew up peacefully in another world. Away from it all. All the pain. All the heartbreak. A third of the population is dead now because of her mom.
Kids.
Teenagers.
And Victoria ran away. Even if she wasn't colluding with the creatures she let this happen. She didn't stay and protect them. And now she puts her daughter in here and expects it all to work out? Expects everything to turn out warm and peachy!
That's laughable. Maybe Katie's not to blame but it doesn't matter. If Katie gets a seat on the council her mom has a way in. A way to impact the nation.
If she takes over, it will be the death of everything my mom has fought so hard to achieve.
Whatever relationship she and I had at crystal high it doesn't matter. It would be better off if she had stayed in the real world. Left this world to me.

And now she is going to take it all way.

The names that are being called now don't matter. The lights, the talking, it all blends together. We're in university now. This is my last chance to come out on top. I never understood why my mom was so desperate but now I do. The future of our realm relies on who gets those seven seats. Who claims their place in the council. Who determines what happens with our future. No one wants her. No one needs her.

And I'm the only one with the key to that future. No wonder she wants to kill me. I can actually find out what happened. Why the guardians turned on us, if she would have killed me then no one would know the truth. No one would know what was the cause. Without me this war would be endless. She would have ended all chances of us succeeding if she killed me. Good thing her powers didn't show up until now. I'm sure she would have killed me the first chance that she got now. Now that she knows who I am.
Kallys hand is on mine. I look over at her.
"We're going to beat her, don't worry, I won't let anything happen to you," so this is it.
The beginning of university. The preview before the game begins.