A performance

KASSIE POV

Unrecognizables are an odd candy to consume. They pop in my mouth, exploding into some kind of tropical fruit punch flavor. It's odd.

But that's not the only thing that's holding my attention. Ken, Kally and luke all look completely different. It's not like they look strange or anything. They just look different enough that they're not themselves. They look like people who could blend into a crowd instead of sticking out like a sore thumb.

Terence, Amy and Katie all nod in approval as we make our way down into the tunnel leading to the party cave. It's so surreal being down here again. All the memories of this year coming to mind. It's all so different now.
I clutch my instrument more tightly as the sounds of throbbing music pump through the tunnel. There's a crowd that rushes past us, giggling and chatting away about the party cave and karaoke night. My heart throbs in my chest. This is it. It's karaoke night.

The music is getting closer, indistinguishable notes now reverberating around me like a choir. I clench my fists tighter as we step nearer and nearer.
Katie grabs my hand and gives it a squeeze.
"This is it!" She exclaims.

The party cave is filled with people yet there's still a divide of east and west dorm. Even back stage there is a diffinitive separation between the two. Crowds of the two are bunched together in smaller sections everyone preparing for their big moment in the stage light. We wait as team after team steps up to the stage. There are five more teams until it's our turn. Then it's four.
Then it's three.
Then it's two.
My nerves are going crazy. I'm not even paying attention to the sound pouring out of the speakers. The people in front of us nervously waiting for their turn. The rumble of applause or boos they receive. At the end of the night there will be a vote. That's what I'm paying attention to more than anything. If we can secure a win Katie and the others would hopefully be safe in their dorm for the rest of the schoolyear. There's no guarantee but the east dorm hasn't won for years. This would be a grand turn around for them.

"Kassie," I feel Katie's hand on mine.

"It's time," she smiles excitedly.

She doesn't let go of my hand as we make our way onto the stage. Then the speakers blare on, as Luke hits a riff on his electric guitar.

I take a deep breath, and approach the microphone.

I somehow underestimated how many people were in the audience. I see familiar faces out there, see faces I've only seen on class rosters. They're all here, and this feeling of adrenaline pumping through my veins is addictive. I feel myself smile as Katie's voice projects over the speakers. There's an uproar in the crowd, their eyes glued to the stage. In the distance I see the arcade games, and the bar off to the right serving glowing drinks. People grooving to the music.

Even if we don't win, this was so worth it.