Tryouts

Where are we heading? We're on our way to tryouts. With my sister trying out for theatre and I'm gonna try out for the football team. Yeah, only problem with that is.... Zed hey watch out! When he stumbles into something he hurts himself and then people come out screaming about zombies and then a bunch of football players come chasing us. Quick Farrah in here. He ushers me into the giant room that said zombie safe room on it.

Meanwhile.... It's ok Bree there's nothing to be afraid of look the zombie safe room is right there we'll be safe there. Addi says that but then Bree had turned and saw us and screamed running off. But Addi shrugs and comes into the zombie safe room. The door closes and says it's on lock down. Just before.... Zed stay with me ok? I'm right here sis it's gonna be ok. Whose there? Another male voice asks. I know someone's in here. He calls.

I grab Zed's hand and squeeze it. Sis the scariest thing in here is me he whispers. Humans are scarier I mumble. Hello? He asks again. That's when Addison came in. Hello? Is someone in here? Zed and I rush around, but as we knock into something our hands bump and I fall down. Ouch, I complain. Hey are you ok? The male voice asks. Where are you? Come on speak up I want to help.

I doubt it. I mumble. No hey come on don't say that. Hello? Addison calls. It's me Addison. The male voice calls. I saw two other people move around in here she says. Why hello? Zed says flirty. Watch it buster the only thing worse then my high kick is my low kick. Sorry, sorry, this just isn't how I'm sure we expected our first days of school to go.

You weren't expecting to be shoved into a zombie safe room? *scuff* no we were expecting that. Ow, I complain rubbing my ankle. It's just we're both kind of having big days today, my sister is trying out for the play, and I'm gonna tryout for football. Hey I'm auditioning for the play too. My name's Jack. Hello I whisper shyly.

What's your name? How honest of an answer do you want I scuff again?! It's just this wasn't how I was expecting my birthday to go either. I probably won't even make past auditions. Especially since my leg hurts so bad. Ow. Hey I bet we've got more at home to swap you out one. You're not funny I scold my brother. Not like we're Frankenstein's monster. I'm teasing. Obviously. I'm Zed. My name's Addison. And I'm trying out for the cheer team. So, we're both having big days.

Cheer wow that must be tough. Yeah it is but I love it. Same here with theatre. And don't say that girl I still don't know the name of.... I'm sure you'll do fine. Yeah, well our dad doesn't think Zed's even gonna make the football team. No hey don't say that you just need someone to cheer for you and soon fingers crossed it will be like my job. And Jack's a nurse's assistant loves helping people. Don't take this the wrong way but I don't want anyone's help I don't trust anyone.

Clearly you won't even give us your name. Jack scuffs playfully. Just give him your name they won't bite. Are you sure? You might after the lights come on. Why's that? Hi I'm Farrah. What did you say? Farrah my name is Farrah. Why does that name sound familiar? Here let me give you a hand. No thanks I got it. I try getting up but start to fall again. Whoa! I feel someone reach out for me. You must have pretty good eye sight.

Normally I do too, but my head is spinning. I'll take you to the nurse when this is over. She's not gonna want to help me. I scuff again. Stop that. There's probably ice in here somewhere. I'm telling you, you're not gonna want to help me once the lights come on. All clear. The lights come on Addi quickly punches Zed in the nose and then apologizes quickly. You guys are zombies.... Jack asks questioningly.

I told you so. Zed I'm so sorry, it's just that I was told that zombies were hideous freaks. But you guys aren't hideous at all. Yeah you're actually really pretty Jack tells me. And um I heard you say it was your birthday so happy birthday. Thanks I mumble rubbing my arm. You cold? No, just not used to humans being nice. Why's that? Cause we're zombies I shrug. You look really familiar.

Addi tells me. Yeah uh sorry again for the attack our parents haven't trusted a zombie since one bit my grandfather's ear of off. I remember that.... I suddenly say then cover my mouth. Huh? Addi questions. Ignore me, I shake my head frowning. Addi frowns and looks at me. Here let me help you up. Jack says to me. Wait, uh ice that's right. It doesn't look bad not a bruise in sight. No scratches or bumps anywhere try turning it. IDK why it hurts zombies are fast healers or rather so I'm told. And normally really flexible.

Full zombies Zed whispers. Sh. I nudge him. Some of us are double jointed or rather most of us are actually. Almost all of us. Addi there's something I need to tell you.... But before I could her cousin runs in with his minions and pushes Zed away from her. Stay away from my cousin. And you he turns to me.... You look really familiar, but familiar or not stay away from my best friend.

I should've known. I say stepping away from Jack. Farrah no wait. He calls to me. Wow that name it sounds familiar the cheer squad agrees. Either way! Bucky holds up a hand to silence them. Stay away from my best friend, and you stay away from cousin. Come on everyone to cheer tryouts they will not wait. Jack don't you have a play to go audition for? I hear this year's play is R&J.

I love that play. I cheer. But of course I would never dream of trying out. Well if there's one group of people who are tolerant of anything its the theatre geeks they're already outcasts you'd fit right in. And it's like our story anyways except none of you will ever be that a couple or otherwise if I have anything to say about it.

After they leave.... Progress we have to remember that we're making progress. And first thing was football tryouts because the cheer team is so high and mighty that's good and our theatre troop always wins first place and has the best shows that's great for us too but our football team sucks and if we don't win a game I could lose my job so you all made the team except the zombie.

What? Principal Lee says you're not even supposed to leave the basement she didn't tell you that? Nope I think I would've remembered that. Please let me be on the team? No we can't have a zombie on the team we'd look like a laughing stock and I'm no trailblazer I'm more of a follower but really I'm not even good at that. Sorry kid.

At the auditions.... I sneak in and watch. Jackson you've done a very good job for a freshman. Thank you ma'am. And I've seen many girls try out but I'm not sure if I've seen my Juliet yet. After the pre rally when that happens I'll have a cast list and come back for callbacks but I think I've found our Romeo. We just need to find you the perfect Juliet. I stand up from the audience, and try to exit, but then I trip into the seats. Not again.

Her! Jack points at me. You girl what is your name freshman? Farrah ma'am. It's awfully dark back there can you come into the light and take the stage? Yes ma'am. I'll get you a script. No, that's not necessary, for one you won't want me in your show once you get a good look at me for another I know the play forwards and backwards give me a scene I know it by heart. (I wish)

Why do you that dear? She turns and looks at me. Um.... Cause I'm different I'm a zombie. So? We're theatre people we celebrate different. Not a single one of us is anything alike. But should you even be up here? Shouldn't you be in the basement? Was I? No one told me I think I would've remembered that. Read the scene where they find out what they are, and think they can never be together because of it. Jack take the first line please?

Yes ma'am. The theater teacher really liked me and thought I was perfect for the part. But she said she needed to think it through. Yes ma'am thank you. At least one of us out of the two of us had a good tryout. I'm sorry Zed. Humans are terrible, I guess for once in my life being different was a good thing, IDK if I made the play yet, but she liked me. Football is stupid. Eliza told him. Way to be supportive Liz.

Hey don't look at me like that you know this isn't gonna end well ok? Farrah knows first hand that humans are demons. Yeah it's true. But today I met some that weren't terrible. To say the least. I just happened to pick a club that was tolerant of people being different. I think that cheerleader actually likes me Zed tells us. Zed? I frown. No really. That would be so weird. I tell him.

Why? Because the girl you're crushing on she's.... A cheerleader? Eliza cut me off. Who are BTW monsters if humans are terrible they're monsters. No, well yeah, but despite that she punched him in the face earlier.... You said you remembered when what Addison said about her grandfather happened. Is she your biological sister? I bite my lip. Things need to change, come let's go time to start cheer tryouts. Bucky says.