11.

- nyiah (cinira)'s pov
- may 26th 2022 - awful things

"come on, come on, come on! i made breakfast, y'all stop being slow and come get it before it gets cold!" i call out loud as i watch aniyah, daddy, and my momma, trudge down the stairs all sleepy-like, while i legitimately cheese a big ass smile, showing off all my teeth. "hurry up y'all!"

i'm happy. i don't know why - but i am. i'm just in a happy mood today.

"you on something-" she starts questioning me but i cut her off.

"take it, daddy!" i pick up a plate with all the foods i cooked piled onto it, practically shoving it into daddy's hands, forcing him to take it. "i made enough for you to take two of them! you can probably take one to work!"

"..nyiah," mom calls softly, 'causing me to look at her.

mom takes a short sip of the coffee i made for her, before she sighs heavily. "tone it down.."

my eye twitches. i'm not stupid. i know my positive attitude a lil too positive for her.

i know mom always got a problem with me, and if this problem throwing her off - i dare her to do something about it 'cause- wait, no. i'm in a happy mood. i'm happy.

daddy sucks his teeth. "don't be like that, jade." he tells mom. "she made us something to eat. she's excited."

"i really am!" i say quickly and mom sighs again, waving us off. "i worked hard."

dad chuckles as he digs his spoon into the pile of steaming hot grits i made.

he blows on it for a few seconds before he feeds himself the portion on the spoon. and after he's done, dad starts nodding with a big smile.

"yeah, it's delicious, sweetpea. i think you kids these days say it's bussin'." he grins, laughing a little.

aniyah turns up her face. "dad, never said that again. you're embarrassing me,"

"hush," i side-eye her. irritating just like her mom..

"they're amazing." dad reaches over the table and gives me a hug. one i can't help but return. i love my daddy. "i can tell this plate was made with a lot of love.."

"they were." i smile, pulling away from the hug.

earlier though, for some reason, a small voice in my head told me i should pour lots of salt in the grits - but i didn't.
but just because i didn't, doesn't mean a small part of me didn't want to.

it's okay though. i would never do that to my daddy. to my mom, though? let's just leave it at me pleading the fifth..

"y'all make sure to really enjoy the food," i grab my backpack off the stool near the table. "i'll walk to school."

"school's forty minutes away." aniyah mutters without looking up from her phone, biting into a strip of bacon.

"i don't care." i reply with a smile for no reason as i take ahold of my house keys and start walking out the house.

when i'm out the house i just start glancing up at the sky for a few seconds before i breathe in. it's just weird that i'm so happy. i don't know why i'm finding it weird, and i sure as hell don't know why i'm happy.

my good mood ends up beating my anxious thoughts of having a good mood, with a fucking bat. like, it beats the dog shit out of my thoughts 'cause even though the hot-ass, sticky, uncomfortable weather i was walking in on the way to school was so hot and sticky, i never stopped smiling and i picked a whole bunch of flowers.