29.

- cinira 'nyiah' brooks' pov | chapter twenty-nine (29)
- september 22nd 2022 | lil peep - we think too much

i would do anything to make aaliyah davis think i'm everything; that's why dove orchid helped me pick out the nicest outfit i could wear for my first day of senior year. the outfit i wear today is for aaliyah, to impress her.

"that skirt bring out yo eyes, sweetpea." dad smiles softly, feeding himself a spoonful of eggs as i join everybody at the kitchen island, putting my purse down on the counter. "i think you look real nice today. perfect outfit to start the senior, don't you think, jade?" he looks to mom but mom don't look up from whatever she got cookin' in the skillet.

"it's fine," she mutters dryly.

from the face he make when she say that, i can tell dad ain't happy about her reply but he don't say nothing.

it's whatever though 'cause from what i usually hear through the walls, whatever concerns he got for her, he'll save it for late at night; that way the two of them won't argue in front of us. he prefer to take up for me in private.

he may think he sparing me but he not. i rather him take up for me now, not hours later where him bringing it up makes him look all stupid and crazy. him lookin' all stupid and crazy make whatever he defending, look stupid and crazy.

and if he defending me, i look stupid and crazy; and if i'm gonna be that, i need to be defending my stupid craziness.

"if mom ain't gon' make yo plate, you can have mine." anyiah mumbles, scooting her plate in my direction. "i only messed with the bacon. just take it."

i turn my face up. "i don't want nothing you messed over."

"ohwell," she shrugs, turning her attention back to whoever she textin' on her phone.

dad clears his throat, standing to his feet. "let me make you a plate-"

"i'm good." i drag my purse off the counter before throwing it over my shoulder. "i don't wanna be late."

he pats both of his front pockets. when he pats his back pockets, keys jingle and he look up at me. "i can give you a ride. i need to pick up coffee for the guys at work and since the place a few blocks from your school, i don't see why it should be no trouble." he says. i shrug and turn around, walkin' towards the front door. "let's go then,"

we leave out the house. daddy say 'bye' to aniyah but he don't say it to mom. i don't say 'bye' to nobody though.

once we're in the car and everything is situated, daddy drives off and when we get to the first red light, he nod his head to the aux cord.

"if you want to, you can plug yo phone up to that uh, music player string thing."

i frown a lil for no reason, plugging the cord into my phone. "it's a aux."

"that's what i called it." he wave me off, pressin' his foot to the gas when the light turn green.

i don't say nothing for the rest of the ride to school; but i do pay attention to the lyrics of some giveon song i got playin' on the radio. they're not nothing special, but i have nothing else to pay attention to, so why not.

but i must have been payin' too much attention 'cause i don't even notice when daddy pull over. "alright, we here."

i look out the window, watching everybody. it's a lot of people. look like more people than last year.

without thought, i open the door.

"you have a nice day, sweetpea." dad calls. "i love you, okay? call me if you need something"