13

LACEY

This date.

Noah started off so well. He showed up with a dozen roses and in a button up shirt and nice pants. I disregarded the fact that I hated roses and just appreciated it because who doesn't love flowers. We went to a nicer Italian restaurant in downtown and it was great. We were talking about random things, classes, our majors, and favorite color type of things. I sigh pushing around my ravioli as he continues to drone on and on.

This man should have been in a frat the way he is talking about Greek life. I swear I haven't heard a word in the last ten minutes that hasn't been about it. I hate Greek life if I am being honest, hate it. I keep seeing my phone light up and I know it's the girls.

They are probably on their way to Darby's for the night and I wish I was going. Maybe if this date ends soon I can be there. I'd be way over dressed but when am I not. I am also pissed I didn't use my fake to buy the biggest drink here. We are now just waiting for the check and honestly our waitress has disappeared. I nod my head bringing the water glass to my lips as to acknowledge that I'm still listening.

"Lacey," Noah calling my name brings me back to earth. I sit up glancing at him then where his hazel eyes are narrowed. My phone screen is lit up with Julie and I and Julie's name.

I clear my throat, "Oh sorry, excuse me."

I grab my jacket and purse from the back of my chair standing up.

"I'll get the check."

"Are you sure?" I ask him clutching my phon in my hand. I really want to just dash out of here and have one of the girls pick me up but I don't want to be mean. Or this getting back to anyone.

"Nonsense, I'll meet you outside," he says, like a gentlemen. I shoot him a smile before heading towards the door. I call Julie back and bring the phone to my ear. I put my black jean jacket on over my red lace bodysuit.

"Lacey, are you okay?" she asks very loudly. I can hear people laughing and talking around her with the low bar music in the back. I put a hand on my forehead as I stare at the busy parking lot of the restaurant. It was a nice gesture and this is a very nice place. I just can't bring myself to like him all that much.

"Yeah fine, are you guys at Darby's?" I ask her as I walk away from the entrance. A couple holding hands walks through the doors. A twinge of jealousy bubbles in my chest watching them. Noah and I didn't look like that walking in. Nothing is natural about it.

"Yes. Are you coming?"

I freeze when I hear that laugh. That deep chuckle. Julie snaps at him and I hear him laugh again.

I clear my throat, "Yes, I'm on my way."

"Cool, Lace. We'll see you then," Julie says. I hear the guys chanting my name making me laugh hysterically. "Hurry, the guys are drunk."

"Okay, okay. Bye!" I laugh as the door opens. Noah sends me a smile as I hang up the phone. Darby's is not too far away from here. I can hear the strip of bars from the restaurant.

"All set?" he asks me. I smile and nod my head at him pushing my purse up my shoulder.

"Thank you for dinner it was great. I am going to head to Darby's to meet up with friends," I say motioning in the direction of the bars. He looks behind me and then back down at me.

"Mind if I join? A couple of the team is there too," he says tucking his hands inside his pockets. I try not to frown at his comment and put on a smile.

"What about your car?" I ask him as I tuck my phone into my purse.

"I'll just pick it up tomorrow morning," he says walking towards the sidewalk. I shoot him another smile and follow him. The walk to the bars is quiet. Which I don't mind. I don't think I can listen to him talk anymore. He's just too, perfect? I don't know what it is about him but there's something off that's not visible to the eye.