44

BRADEN

"Balloons! We need balloons!"

I roll my eyes as my roommates and the girls continue to bicker. I clench the stress ball in my hand and wince. Although the pain in my shoulder has gotten better it still hurts like a bitch from time to time. Once Asher came to my hometown and bitched me out, I started taking things seriously.

"Fuck your balloons! Robbie is turning twenty-two not five," Trey says to Tori. Tori shoved him off of the couch while Rae sighs. Jeremy and Carter stand in front of everyone holding the 'Happy Birthday' sign.

"So, what are we supposed to be doing?" Jeremy asks. A chorus of other protests follow his question. Rae pinches the bridge of her nose.

"Yeah I really don't feel like standing here all day," Carter adds. Asher releases a laugh behind her. He's on alcohol order duties and doing a shit job at that. He thinks we don't see him bothering Carter but we do.

I release a sigh leaning my head against the back of the couch. I have missed this a lot. I delayed even coming back to school. I stayed with my Mom for a while until she told me I needed to come back. I also haven't really fixed my shit with everyone yet. Especially Asher and Carter. They barely even talk to me.

Which is ass but I deserve it.

I was a dick. I know I was actually scratch that, I know I am a dick. I should have known that they only wanted my best interest.

"Can everyone just stop bitching for five seconds so I can think," Rae sighs. That shuts everyone up really fast.

"So, are we supposed to-" Julie comes into the room. She comes to a halt with Sanders behind her. Rae glares at her. Julie shuts her mouth, "Never mind. I got it."

"Wait but the-"

Julie cuts Sanders off by grabbing his arm and dragging him away. Trey and Tori glance at each other.

"We are gonna go help Sanders and Julie," Tori says nodding her head towards the kitchen. Trey gives her a funny look.

"We?"

"Yes we," Tori says. Trey lets out a yelp as Tori drags him to the kitchen. Carter sighs and hands the sign to Jeremy. Jeremy nods his head towards the kitchen and I shake my head. I guess I should talk to Asher and Carter. Now is a better time than never.

"Rae, maybe go lay down for a sec and I'll see what I can do with the hooligans," Carter offers in a soothing tone. Rae releases a breath and nods her head.

"Make sure they understand the theme if you guys go to Party City," Rae says, pointing at Carter. She nods her head but I just make a face. Who doesn't understand what a Hawaiian themed party looks like. Rae heads up the stare while Carter releases breath. She turns to look at Asher. I glance around the room and it's just the three of us in here.

I clear my throat, standing up from the couch. Asher's expression is cold as he stares at me. He's pissed and he has every right to be. I get why he is so angry with me, I just wish he would understand where I am coming from. I want things to be the way they were before and I understand I fucked that up but a lot of shit has happened to me recently.

Pretty fucked up shit.

Carter's brown eyes are narrowed as she stares at me with a sour expression. Apparently Asher finally told her what I said too.

"I'm sorry for being a dick," I say.

Really? That's the best I could come up with? Good one, Bray.

Carter's brown eyes soften but Asher stays tense and brooding. I know he is mad about how I treated him and how I spoke of the girls. I also am aware that he is going to take a while to defrost.