Epilogue

LACEY

THREE YEARS LATER

I never thought I would like being in the city. I really didn't. Until I moved in with Braden.

Living in Chicago is unreal. I love it here except winters are absolutely brutal. I am really learning about that one right now. Braden was drafted first round pick 12 to the Chicago Bulls. I cannot be more proud of him and everything he has accomplished. All of his friends have been supportive of both of us as well as the girls. Everyone lives in New York now, besides Trey and Sanders, and I miss them.

Even though I just saw them at Braden and I's wedding. We got married and engaged in North Carolina. It's where our story started so we wanted to tie the knot there. We did it before preseason so everyone could come. It was just like old times. Although we all learned we couldn't handle our alcohol like we used to.

I have other  wives and girlfriends of players but none as close as the girls.

Especially the brand new apartment we have. As well as the new addition we have to our family, a rescue dog named Gracie. Our penthouse apartment looks over the entirety of Chicago and our bedroom is one of my favorite spots. Well, actually my office. I work remotely so Braden made sure we had an office here. Gracie barks from beside me, making me turn away from dinner.

Braden is off at practice so I decided to make a special little dinner for him tonight. I made chicken fettuccine alfredo with some garlic bread and salad. I continue rinsing off the salad in the sink before moving to dry it.

My phone vibrates on the marble counter. I pause my motions and glance at my phone. I smile when I see it's Rae. I pick up the phone and set it up against the kitchen wall for FaceTime.

"Lacey! I didn't think you were going to pick up!" Rae explains. I still have to get used to Rae's new haircut. She cut it just above shoulder length and she looks gorgeous. Mature and ready to kick ass running her dad's company.

"Oh, my God! Tonight's the night right?" Julie explains. Rae flips the camera. I see Rae waving a spatula in the background. "Hi Lace! Sorry, I'm making quesadillas because Carter is late. Per usual."

Tori is sitting at the counter sipping on a glass of white wine. I smile as she waves her hands at me, "I am on wine duty!"

Rae laughs in the background before flipping the camera back around, "We miss you! Tonight's girls' night."

I sigh feeling myself get emotional.

Damn hormones.

"I miss you guys too but we can rekindle things soon. But, Carter and Tori are coming down here soon," I say. I don't know who I am reassuring myself or them. Rae nods her head, a smile appearing on her.

"Are you nervous?"

Am I nervous? It's a simple question. A million thoughts are racing through my brain as the timer on the oven beeps.

"One sec," I say. I turn around grabbing oven mitts. I pull out the garlic bread and place it on the stove. I turn off the burner for the pasta. I grab the pot and move it to the sink to drain it.

"No. Not really. I honestly think Braden is going to be happy," I confess.

"I can't believe you are having a baby!" Julie exclaims excitedly. Rae nods her head happily as she stands up from the couch towards the kitchen. I pour the pasta back into the pot and move them back to the stove. I grab my phone and the sauce I had prepared before to pour over the pasta.

I hear a door opening over the phone and Carter's loud voice, "I am so sorry I'm late!"

"Lacey's on the phone!" Rae exclaims. I hear Carter yell before I see her. She's waving like a madwoman.