50

BRADEN

APRIL

I rest my hand on Lacey's thigh as we head to a small tattoo spot outside of Chapel Hill. Lacey and I decided to get away from everyone for the day. First I took her to a park and then to lunch. Now to the tattoo parlor. Although she has no idea we are going here.

I want to honor my brother.

I asked my doctors if I could since I know I just had surgery but my incision is healed. I am still doing insane physical therapy and my shot is not what it used to be but I have to live with this. So much has changed this past year and it's going to continue to change.

My brother and I did not always get along but when we did he was one of my best friends. I miss him practically every day. My chest tightens at the thought. I glance at Lacey in the passenger seat of my car. Her blonde hair is flowing in the spring breeze of North Carolina.

Somehow despite all the fuck ups this year I have come out of each and every struggle. Lacey and I have been going strong for about a month now. Graduation is right around the corner for a few of my teammates and things seem to be falling into place.

As stupid and weird and cheesy that fucking sounds. It really is. Coach granted me my captain 'C' on my jersey and I will be ready for preseason. I have to work my ass off this summer but I know I have this in the bag. As for the minor hiccup that is Jacob Kappalac I'm ignoring him until I can't ignore him anymore.

Although, we have seen him around recently. Around the facilities and campus but never out. Which I find weird since Satan is his brother. He still makes my blood pressure rise every time I see him. It helps that everyone I know gives him the cold shoulder.

Besides Sanders. Kid can like just about anyone.

"How far are we?" Lacey asks. I feel her blue eyes on the side of my face and I smirk. She adjusts herself in the passenger seat pulling down her floral sundress that looks insane on her.

"Just two more minutes," I tell her. She sighs from beside me and changes the song.

"Where are we going?" she asks another question.

I chuckle, "You'll see in approximately two minutes."

Lacey groans and turns to face me fully, "That's so unfair."

I laugh again as we pull up to a red light. Lacey is frowning in a cute manner only making me smile harder.

"Stop stressing about it. It'll be fun and all you have to do is watch me," I smirk at her. She scurnches her nose up and furrows her eyebrows at me.

"That sounds rather explicit," she says. The light turns green and I make the right turn into the back alleyway of the tattoo shop. I see out of the corner of my eye Lacey glancing around the alleyway. I pull into the parking spot underneath the neon tattoo sign.

"Tattoos?"

Lacey looks at me skeptically as I put the car in park. I nod my head at her hesitantly.

"Are we-" she motions between us. I can't help but burst out laughing. She frowns at me and shoves my shoulder. "Jerk. I was just double checking. I mean we are just not there yet."

"I don't know if matching couple tattoos are our vibe but if you want?" I ask, raising a teasing eyebrow. She rolls her eyes at me and shakes her head.

"No thanks. Sounds like something Carter and Asher would do," she responds. I laugh because they would. I honestly think they have. Or at least Asher has a tattoo for Carter. I have lost track of all the tattoos Asher has gotten. This is actually where Asher gets all of his tattoos.