Bookshop

August 19, 2021

Entry: 008

I was walking down Brookland Street across Netherland Avenue, holding a cup of hot cocoa. Then, I caught a glimpse of a vintage bookshop. It's been a while since I've read a book and decided to check out what this store has to offer. I turned the doorknob and pushed it to hear the chimes ring. It was only half open when I could already smell the scent of the pages. The loving scent of a bookworm's favorite.

I was at awe when I came in to see large spaces in such a small shop at the corner of the avenue. "Wait, is this shop really this big?" I thought to myself as it felt unreal. But I snapped back at reality as the lovely Madame who owns the shop welcomed me with such a warm smile. Of course it would be rude if I didn't smile back and take a look around the lovely place.

It seems like I found my home once again, the ambience of the place comforted me, it looked like I was gonna stay for a while. I made sure to pass by every shelf, reading among the titles, touching each cover, even pausing at times to take a better look. I'd even smile at the first few pages or raise a brow due to curiosity.

Yes, yes, that's me. The giddy bookworm who would spend hours in the library.

I knew I would spend the rest of the day at this new bookshop, what I didn't expect was the rain to pour. Don't get me wrong, rain, books, and a hot drink, is absolutely my favorite perfect reading combination. The thing is, I didn't bring an umbrella.

"Well, it looks like I'll be here for a while." I chuckled softly as I went by the counter to pay for a few books.

"I don't mind young lady, stay as much as you like." She took the books to mention the prices and added, "there's a table by the front, you may read there."

"Thank you." I replied and excitedly walked towards the desk to read.

Time passed and I could still hear the splattering of rain. I didn't mind though because it soothed my ears. It was when I took a sip from my drink and flipped a page when I knew I was indeed glad to stay for hours in that bookshop. Because it was the day I fell in love with a handsome Raven-haired boy who came crashing in the doorframe panting from exhaustion.

I chuckled slightly at him; he was indeed in a hurry.

"Why are you rushing lad? This bookshop isn't going anywhere." The kind Madame commented.

"Sorry." He apologized and ruffled his slightly wet hair then looked at me. Which caused me to slightly blush as his loving eyes stared into mine. He smiled and I fixed my gaze upon my book once again.

"Why is he so charming?" I thought to myself.

"Looks like you have a customer." He casually told the lady, they seemed pretty close.

She hummed yes and added, "She's beautiful, isn't she?"

I slightly glanced upon them and I could see his cheeks tinted with light pink. He tried hiding it though by rolling his eyes and turning away.

"Quiet down, she can hear us." He whispered, walking through the shelves.

"You agree though, right."

My lips couldn't help but smile at their comments, luckily my book was there to conceal it.

"Shush, she's reading." He gestured but I caught him nodding yes at the same time.

"What's this?" I questioned myself, "My heart is fluttering..."

"Oh my, my heart is fluttering as well!" my friend, Sally exclaimed as I giggled at her reaction. "Well? Don't give me the suspense and continue your story." She said and I nodded yes. She must be pretty excited since I've never told her about this love story.