Chapter 2 - Grian

From the first few moments of meeting him I'm basically 100% sure that Scar has magic. His entire demeanour screams I'M HIDING SOMETHING, but as much as I want to, I don't tell him that I know. I might be wrong. It might end up worse for me.

Whatever's going on, what I am reluctantly sure of is that his first proper lesson is going to be how-to-discriminate-against-people-who-have-magic which, even if he doesn't have magic, is a horrible start for anyone. I feel sorry I half-bullied him into skipping Redstone class. At least that can be interesting and helpful. I ponder all this as I continue to lie in my bed. Scar's been awake half the night, probably classic first week nerves and as I dare a look out over at his empty bed from the mess of blankets, he's already awake now too. I know I should set a good impression and get out of bed too, so I do the classic roll out of physical bed and end up trapped in bedding that's become my regular method of getting up. 

It takes up a further five or so minutes escaping the self-caused imprisonment, and another few to get dressed, stretching and yawning as I eventually leave the room. 

The first thing I smell is smoke, and I can just see the awkward outline of Scar, watching me through the grey haze. It turns out the second thing I've now learnt about Scar is that he's a safety hazard. 

'Good morning Grian!' He greets me like nothing's happened. 'You want some... breakfast?' 

'I want to see more than 2 inches in front of my face. What happened?'

'Your toaster doesn't like me. I tried to cook some toast and then it started belching smoke everywhere!'

'Right. Leave it to me.' My polite way of saying get out the way before you burn the kitchen down works, and I take his place. Sure enough, my toaster's producing a lot of smoke. I grab a tea towel, pick it up, slam it against the table until what was probably bread at some point falls out, and throw it out the window for someone else to deal with. 'Your toast is a bit burnt.' I explain, picking up the corner of a blackened chunk of what might be bread. Scar's started laughing, and soon I do too. 'Scar, I know we've just met, but I'm very worried about your own safety.' 

'It was the toaster, not me!' 

'It was definitely you. Toasters don't do that.' I dare a glance at the window again. There's now smoke everywhere. 

'Are you going to deal with that?'

'Someone else will first. There's no proof for them to pin it on us. Don't worry. Besides, it's not exactly the worst that's happened on someone's first day. Jimmy set the entire kitchen on fire before running away and blaming Scott.' 

'He's that guy from yesterday, right?'

'Yeah. Jimmy's the kind of person... well, you know how most people have some kind of thing they're good at, like redstone, or building, and some people are just alright at everything? Jimmy's the kind of person who isn't particularly good at anything, and everyone bullies him for it, but also still love him or we have to deal with Scott.' 

Probably understand, Scar nods, before speaking. 

'I'm hungry.'

'Well it's your fault for breaking my toaster!' I reply, still laughing. 'You can have your... uhh... toast?' I pass over a piece of what is definitely not toast. Scar takes it, giving a small bite. 

'That's... wow, Grian you should really try some of this. It's so good.' I cross my arms. 

'Yeah... no. I'm making my own breakfast. You can have yours.' Being the generous guy I am, I find a plate for Scar, gathering all the crumbs and placing it in front of him. 'There. If you eat all of that I'll make you something else.'