Chapter 30: Grian

I don't know what I expected when I woke up but BigB wasn't it. 

He jumps back as I open my eyes, both of us yelling at once. Everything hurts. I can't remember what happened. Then I do. 

Impulse tried to kill me. 

And BigB's...?

'Grian! You're alive!'

'Yes? What... why are you here?' I manage to speak

'I was bringing gifts.' He signals to the decently tall pile of things on the table next to me. 

'Gifts?! How long was I nearly dead for?'

'A few weeks.'

'A few- what?!' 

'Yeah... everyone was worried about you. Apparently Impulse pushed you?'

'Yeah. He did. It's complicated. Do you know if I can be let out here at all?'

'No... well... I should go. Bye Grian. I'll tell Scar and Bdubs that you're awake.'

'I... alright.' I watch BigB go, closing the door behind.

Well, that was weird. 

One of the medical staff comes over to me. I finally start to realise my predicament. My arms are both in casts, wings under me... 

WINGS.

F***.

'How does everything feel?'

'Sore? How did I survive?'

'By some kind of miracle, because you certainly could've done... Can you move your arm at all?' I shift both arms obediently, wincing as pain fills me.

'Y...yeah? I don't want to, but I can.'

'Great. We've been giving you some healing potions over your injuries but it would be better if you could drink this.' I nod and the medic helps me drink it. Instant relief, the pain numbing, soothing me as I relax.

'That's... that's a lot better. Thanks.'

'We'll need to keep you here for a few more days, but you should be able to sit up normally and probably walk by this evening.' 

'Thanks.' 

'And don't worry about the wings. We were told to keep it secret. Besides, I'd never tell on a fellow magic person.' He winks, and I sigh with relief. 

I'm not going to get killed.

And more friends have just arrived.

'Friends!' I call over as Scar, Mumbo, Cub, Jimmy and Martyn all enter. 'Hello friends!' 

'BigB told us you were awake.'

'Yeah. That makes sense. What's happened while I've been half dead?'

'A lot.' Replies Cub seriously, aware of me staring at the brutal claw mark scars down his face. 'And none of it's really good.'

'Cub showed me how he makes the best cake in the world...' Scar points out. 'And Doc won the redstone competition.' 

'Did he? What did he make?' I have to smile at my friend's achievement.

'Something none of us could beat in a million years. I still don't know how he did it.' Mumbo replies. 'So... I guess we didn't miss much by your...' 

No one mentions it. I don't know if I want to remember the panic of that moment. I don't know if it would've been better if I'd flown or not. Revealed my wings. TFC has magic, apparently. But...