Chapter 5.5: Impulse

I'M LITERALLY ADDING INTO THE STORY AFTER WRITING UP TO CHAPTER 10 BECAUSE I WANTED TO SATISFY Y'ALL'S WANTING TO KNOW WHAT HAPPENS NEXT AHHHH

There's nothing I can do but listen. I just needed the toilet. I'd gone to the closest one... and now I'm stuck listening in to a confession of magic from new-guy-Scar and Cub. I should've left when I heard Scar run in here, washing hands be damned. But I'd stayed. And then Cub had arrived, and my chance was gone.

'I'm a vexling too.'

After that, all I can do is take it all in with morbid curiosity, paralysed. There was an entire group of them. And just as I'm about to think I'd make it out unseen, Cub notices. 

My first thought is that it definitely looks like I've done this intentionally. Scar's horrified. Cub's holding his ground, a look somewhere between guilt, fear and disgust on his face. 

'Hi.' My stupid brain comes up with.

'How much did you hear?' Is Cub's reply. 

'All of it.' I know I could lie, but the truth just comes out. 'I heard Scar coming in and didn't know what to do, and then I just... couldn't stop listening.'

'Couldn't stop listening.' Echoes Cub

It's then I realise that I'm stuck defenceless with two angry Vexlings, and the odds are greatly stacked against me. But still they're the ones scared of me. I have the power to kill them... I'm almost physically sick at the thought, glad of the toilet near me. 

'I'm not going to tell anyone.' 

'How do we know?' 

'I... don't want to kill my friends? Why would anyone do something like that?'

'What about Stress?' 

I can't find a valid reply.

'I'm not a murderer.' I mumble back. 'I'm not getting you killed.'

'We need a promise.'

'I promise on... anything at all. On my own life. I won't let anyone know. Ever.' I blurt out, trying to look Cub in the eyes at I do. 

'Fine. We believe you.' 

They let me past. Heart hammering, failing to keep my breathing steady, I walk away. Instinct tells me not to turn my back on them, but I still have to, their eyes boring into my back as I leave the toilets.