Chapter 8: Grian

So excited I accidentally published this multiple days early...

THE SCAR-T OF A NEW LIFE

New guy Scar shares thoughts after first week here

It's been a while since this place has seen any new faces, but now that un-spoken wish has been fulfilled. I'm joined with the said new face, and the rest of, Scar Goodtimes, our newest resident of this place. So, Scar, how's everything been?

S: Complicated. There's a lot of stuff I need to learn, plus where everything is. For now I have to be shown where most places and classrooms are by my roommate and friend Grain. 

C: Any particular first week experiences you're willing to share with the Hermiton Herald?

S: I set a toaster on fire. And pranked my entire Redstone class 

C: How did you set a toaster on fire?

S: with less difficulty than you'd expect. My classmates have also been great. I've made lots of friends already. Grian, as I've already said, Ren, Tango, Doc, Martyn... I've not met a bad person yet

C: That's good. So you'd say most of the people you've met have been nice

S: oh, 100%. 

'What'ya reading?' 

I look up from the newspaper article as Scar enters the kitchen. 

'Newspaper. The interview you apparently did with Cub. Why did it call me Grain? I'm- who is this Grain person?!'

'Must've been a typo...' Scar smirks back at me, crossing the kitchen to grab some bread. 'Oh, don't worry. I don't need a toaster now...' His hand lights easily with blue fire, and uses it to heat the bread for a couple of moments. 

'You- you can't just use magic to make toast! That's lazy!'

'Well, it's not like there's any other way to make toast!' He takes a seat on the kitchen counter, and I glare jokingly over at him.

'And who's fault is that?' 

'The toaster's.' 

In the week or so after me and Scar realised and shared that we had magic, life had turned into a new normal that seems better for both of us. Of course, trying to avoid getting caught by Bdubs or BigB is causing trouble in itself, though I've known them long enough to assume they'd cover for us if they found out. Getting to keep my wings out instead of hiding them when sleeping is the biggest positive, though it has tripled the number of feathers into a constant state of post-pillow fight. Scar's also been using his magic, though he keeps his mask hidden at what seems like all times. I don't press him as to why; as a watcher I do the same thing.

'So... it's the weekend. New paper will be out. Should probably help Cub advertise. As new business partners, we need to uphold our sides of the bargain.' 

'I already know how badly this is all going to turn out.' I sigh back. 'You and Cub together will never create anything other than utter chaos.' 

'Says you! I've heard the kind of things you and Mumbo have done together, Mr Moustache Removal Services.'

'I- who told you about that?!'

'Cub.' 

'You- I might ban you two from talking outside of meetings at some point.' I warn. Scar laughs back, finishing his magic toast. 

'You wouldn't dare.'

'Anyway, meeting later today. That's always fun.'

'Cub said something about leaving clues for the location in this copy of the Herald. I'll need to check where when I go over there to help.'