Chapter 9: Scar

'Hey, Grian? What lesson is it this monring?' I enter in on my friend eating breakfast on Tuesday morning. He looks up from his food. 

'Doesn't your timetable say?'

'Uhh... well... probably.'

'You've lost your timetable, haven't you?' Shaking his head with disappointment, Grian tells me. 'Magic Discrimination lesson. Our favourite.'

'Oh no... not again.'

'Yes again... done the homework discussing the best ways to spot someone with magic?'

'Jellie ate it.' Comes my prompt reply that's become a regular excuse for most things.

'Can she eat mine too?' Grian jokes seriously. 

'If you want her to... I did try to write something, but it's hard. 

'Too right it is... anyway, I managed to find a new toaster over the weekend so... I can make you some toast.'

I don't realise the lack of trust he's implying for a moment, just the generous offer I normally have to haggle for.

'T...thanks!'

'Not thanks, I don't trust you with toasters.' 

'What's this about toasters?' Bdubs appears, yawning. 

'Got a new one after the other one...' We all know the story, and Bdubs understands, taking Grian's seat as the builder grabs some bread for me. 

'Is it magic class this morning?'

'Unfortunately, yes.' Grian sighs. 'As much as we all try to avoid it...'

'I haven't done the homework, though.' 

There's a glance between me and Grian that Bdubs doesn't catch as he tries not to fall asleep again. I remember my previous note to self about him not being a morning person. 

'Oh don't worry, Jellie can eat it for you.' I decide to joke anyway. Bdubs looks up at me. 

'That cat's a maniac. She literally attacked me yesterday.' 

'Don't insult Jellie!' 

'Kept finding cat hair everywhere for the rest of the evening... stupid creature.'

The toast in Grian's new toaster chooses this moment to startle everyone, before I'm handed it with a warning of: 'If you go near that thing you're getting a full two hour essay on how to use it safely.' I eat my toast, the morning continues, and soon we're heading to class half the speed we probably should and very unwillingly. 

The teacher, who I've learnt over the last week is called EX, preempts our lateness through not starting the lesson yet. I catch a glance of Cub behind Grian and wave at him. He waves bad, mouthing 'Help me'. It's a task in itself not to laugh. 

EX helps with that by starting the lesson. 

'Today we're learning about identifying and avoiding a lesser known, but very dangerous, kind of magical being. Vexlings.' 

My blood turns to ice. Words don't make sense. There's no air in this room, or if there is I can't breathe it, silently hyperventilating. But no one can find out. I can't calm down and I stare down at my book instead, hiding my face. 

'Does anyone know anything about vexlings? Grian?'

'They... have those mask things. With the faces.' 

'Correct. The easiest way to know someone's a vexling is to find a mask like this.' 

I can't look at the screen, but I still do. That face stares back at me. It's pure terror that fills me as I sense the familiar tug of magic. Don't lose control. Don't lose control. Don't lose control... 

'Can everyone draw a sketch of this in their books under the title and date... the title is vexlings, make sure you underline it and draw in pencil.'

I swallow, and begin to draw, holding on to thought as I do. If I black out... if they make me black out, go into a trance, start doing what they want me to... it's game over. 

I'm first to finish, meaning I have time to recover. Cub asks for a pencil from EX. Stalling. After finishing himself, Grian glances over at me. I don't look back at him. 

'Now, I'll let the rest of you finish up as I continue, this mask can be customised to the person, but most choose to keep it the same. When wearing the mask, vexlings can do all sorts of dangerous magic. Can anyone name a vexling power? 

I have to answer before I'm picked on when least expecting it. Raising my hand, I reply 'fazing through stuff'. EX nods in approval. I return to feigning deafness.

'Vexlings can faze through all blocks. Including bedrock and obsidian. This makes them especially dangerous. As well as this, they can manipulate a toxic substance known as Vex Magic. It takes many forms, and some less-skilled vexlings impulsively control or summon it upon becoming scared or angry. Flight, invisibility, blue glowing eyes, summoning vexes and teleportation are other powers of vexlings. Everyone, please write these down.' 

I do, not know if I'm annoyed or relieved that they've got some stuff wrong. The lesson continues. 

'Vexlings are prone to dangerous and even fatal pranks, mild insanity, tricking others into deadly situations and even death, general chaos and murder, untrustworthiness, starting fights and poisoning. In my opinion, they are the most detestable and dangerous of all magic creatures, due to how easy it is for one to be hiding in plain sight.' 

I can't stop listening. I physically can't stop listening. My stomach hurts and I wish I'd skipped breakfast. Every lie and insult hits personally. I can't survive this. I want to scream, do something...

I want to kill EX.

The thought hits me and it's all I can think of. I take notes, try to distract myself in any way. Think about Jellie, or Grian, or building class. But still, the thought fills my mind, every little way I can get back at EX for his slander. 

It's impossible to hold in the magic, so I do the only thing I can think of and accidentally tip my pencil case everywhere, diving beneath the table to tidy it up. I don't know if anyone heard. My vision blurs with tears as I gather my stuff. Grian helps, notices my expression, and understands as much as he physically can. 

When I reappear, everyone's writing. I numbly copy Grian. The words don't mean anything to me any more. 

After an eternity or more, the bell rings, cutting through the teacher's incorrect explanation of how vexlings become vexlings. I pack my stuff as fast as I can, giving up on any kind of system and throwing it all haphazard in my bag. As I finish, I see Grian looking over at me. 

'Homework is a 500 word essay on how you identity vexlings, to be handed in this time next week. You are now dismissed.'

I'm about to be first out the classroom when someone pushes past, running away. I realise it's Cub, and I try to follow, caught in the rush of students. I eventually get out of the torture room, hearing EX speak again.

'Impulse, can I have a word with you.' 

Getting out the way of the class, I stop. There's a confused response, but he apparently agrees. Curious, I decide to do what he did and eavesdrop, though I don't catch much of the conversation.

At least, not until Impulse gives in. 

'I know someone with magic.'