Chapter 10: Cub

I don't look back. 

I can't look back. Not without losing control. All I can do is walk away from that torture room and pretend the last hour of my life had never happened. Tears burn in my eyes. I try to hold them back, at least until I'm somewhere alone. Behind, I can barely hear someone call my name. I don't want to speak to them, whoever they are, and end up revealing everything again. 

'Cub- wait, please.' It's Scar, I realise far too late. 'It's important. Really important.' I let him catch up as we leave the building. More people. Great. 

'What?' He stops at my tone. 

'Cub... I... do you need a hug?' I turn around. We need to get somewhere alone, but I can't help but smile at Scar standing there, arms outstretched. 

'I... yeah.' We hug. I catch a glance of Wilbur and Tommy in the distance trying not to laugh. 

'That lesson was horrible.' Scar mutters. 'I know that lesson was horrible. But Impulse told EX what he knew and...' 

'What?' It's the last thing I need.

'I didn't hear everything, but EX realised something was going on and Impulse told him that he knows some people had magic.' there's a pure panic in Scar's voice I wish I could calm down. Instead I just step back, hoping no one's listening.

'I need to tell the others.' Is my first idea. Different emotions fill me, but none of them are positive. Right then, all my plans change as Impulse walks past.

'Impulse.' He hurries up as I speak, ignoring me. I let out a growl of frustration, following. Scar grabs my arm.

'Cub, don't do anything stupid.' He pleads. I shake him away, running to catch up with Impulse.

Into the main building, I can see him ahead. The corridor is full of people, he has nowhere to go, so just stops. I reach him at last.

'There was nothing I could've done...' Liar. I pin him against the wall.

'Why did you tell him?'

'He forced me to! He made me do it!'

'You could've lied? Come up with another idea?'

'He knew I was hiding something, there was nothing I could do!' Impulse struggles free, shoving me away. 

'Then maybe you shouldn't have been spying in the first place!'

'You're the one openly blurting out your secrets for everyone to hear! This is your problem, what was it the teacher said?,  the most detestable and dangerous of all...'

Instant silence as I slam him hard against the wall. Impulse chokes for breath. I can't stop. 

'Cub, stop this.' Scar. The last person who deserves to see me like this. 

'Just GO AWAY!' I shout back, letting Impulse go. He slides to the ground. I don't pay him any attention. Scar holds his ground and temper.

'I'll be in my room when you want to talk to me.' Blinking back tears, he replies, before walking off. I turn back to Impulse. 

'You're nothing more than a coward.' I spit. He's crying, properly crying and refusing to look at me. 'Maybe if you understood what you've done, you might regret it,'

'There was nothing I could've done!' Impulse sobs back. 

'Cub? What's going on?' Right then, Tango appears, and I look between him and Impulse, before answering. 

'I suggest you look for some better friends.' He knows exactly what I'm talking about.

'What?!' 

I nod. Impulse is still sitting on the ground, waiting for a moment to run off again. 

'I didn't mean to.' His voice is more of a whimper than anything else. I don't know if I feel sorry for him. I did get him into this mess. 

But he didn't get himself out of it. 

'See if you can get any more of an answer out of him. All I got was a lot of 'I didn't mean to do it'. For now... I need to recover.' 

'I saw you and Scar in that lesson. You deserve some time alone.' Tango gives me a small nod. 'I'll deal with Impulse.' 

'I'm sorry for shouting. But I think you deserved it.' I know I can't stay here without causing much more chaos, and people are already watching. So I just walk off, leaving Tango and Impulse behind. 

It's BigB that answers the door of his, Grian, Bdubs and Scar's room, looking mildly confused. 

'You... looking for an interview?' Is his first guess

'No... I'm looking for Scar. Is he around?'

'Yes? I'll get him... Uhh... Scar?'

'What? BigB? Hello?'

'Cub's here? He wants to talk to you.' 

'Oh, alright. See you later, Grian.' 

There seems to be goodbye back from Grian, and Scar appears. 

'How's... Impulse?'

'I left Tango with him. Wanted to talk with you. And didn't want any more attention.'

'Where should we go?' 

I don't have any ideas for a moment. But then I think a bit more. 

'Follow me.' 

Towards and into my own dorm, and then mine and Jevin's room. And despite the fact Grian's confirmed his is worse, I'm still conscious of the mess everywhere. 

'Your... room?'

'It's... above.' I point to a loose tile in the room before climbing onto my bed and pushing it away to reveal the hidden space in there. It's easy to get in after so much practice, and I quickly pull myself in. Scar looks up at me, considering for a moment. 

'Come on up! There's plenty of space!' So he follows onto the bed, and I somehow manage to help him up, replacing the tile, and light the area just afterwards.

It's a large attic-like space, despite there being another above. I don't know what weird design led to it existing, but somehow it does. A lot of candles give off some light, so I can actually see the rest of my mini hideout of old newspapers, boxes, stuff for pranks, spare cake, blankets and pillows. 

'Wow... nice! Can we spy on people?' Is Scar's first idea. I laugh, replying,

'Haven't really tried. Didn't want to hear anything I shouldn't. Plus I don't know how soundproof the tiles are.' 

'There's tons of space up here... how did you even find it?'

'A combination of throwing stuff at the ceiling in boredom, trying to fly inside, and the knowledge that there's definitely more space between ours and the younger class's rooms than they tell us.' 

'Hang on, need to hear more about you flying inside before we discuss anything else.'

'Boredom, and while causing a lot of injury I couldn't really explain to anyone.' I decide to keep it brief. 

'That's amazing. Oh, also I've been thinking. We need a duo name.' 

'A duo name...?' None come to mind. 

'Yeah, Like... I don't know. Something vexy.' Scar shrugs, deciding to eat some of the cake I left up here. 'I mean, it feels sort of illegal to be hiding up here... some play on that...?'

'Con... victs?' 

'Convex...?' The idea comes to both of us at the same time. Scar eyes shine with the idea. 'Oh my goodness that's amazing.' 

'It's official.' I reply, unable to stop myself smiling like an idiot. 'We're the convex.'

YOU KNOW I HAD TO.