Chapter 3 - Impulse

Haha... I literally decided to write this chapter after writing up to what used to be the fourth chapter. 

I love structuring stories literally as you write them.

As much as people say necromancy isn't real, I'm pretty sure Skizz could wake the dead with how loud he's snoring right now.

It's morning, the day after I met the new guy, Scar. I don't know what I think about him, though he seems as witty and friendly as everyone else. I guess his dislike of redstone is something to do with it. 

Trying to hide my exasperated annoyance at Skizz, I roll onto my back, staring up at the ceiling. As I do, I grab my watch from the bedside drawers and check the time. 7:26. 4 minutes before my alarm goes off. 

I decide against the extra four minutes of lying awake and just decide to get up, finding some clothes to wear before leaving the room and going to the shared bathroom to change. 

Skizz has apparently been woken by my alarm by the time I'm finished, and I meet him in the kitchen, where's he's standing, half slouched, holding up my watch. 

'You woke me up.' He grumbles.

I fight the urge to say the same back as he goes to change too, handing me my watch. I don't rebuke his attitude. Skizz isn't a morning person. I'm probably the only person I know who might be. 

Breakfast is a quick affair, before I grab my bag, trying to think what lessons I have before remembering I won't need it. Elytra class this morning. I grin at the thought. Almost everyone likes elytras, and I'm no different. 

Tango and Zed are also up by this point. Zed's got redstone class, not elytra, so me, Skizz and Tango say goodbye to him before we set off to lessons, knowing our journey will be longer. 

The journey is quick, and we arrive outside the fenced off area, full of floating hoops to fly through, before the bell goes. Jevin, Jimmy and Scott are already there, the former dressed as he always is in a very oversized hoodie, hiding his face. More of the class arrive - Mumbo, Pearl, Ren, Martyn... I spot Grian and the new guy Scar as they arrive, keeping an eye on them as the bell goes and Xisuma appears to teach our lesson, in his classic green armoured flight suit and grey helmet. 

'Alright then, welcome to class.' He lets us into the area, and we all enter, lining up in a straight line. I manage to get near enough to Scar to continue spying on him. 'Today we'll be practicing making sharp corners. We have healing potions on hand for when Jimmy crashes into everything, so don't worry about that. Right, everyone, grab an elytra. Oh Grian, you can teach Scar the basics over at the beginners area.' 

I stay where I am for a moment, confused at why Xisuma's picked Grian, given how he still struggles to keep his elytra on mid-flight, but run off after Skizz and Tango to take my own elytra. It's easy to get on, and do as Xisuma asks us to line up in front of the takeoff platforms, shooting easily into the air himself from the ground.  

I listen to his instructions and warnings before he lets us all start trying it. Cub's first up. Obviously. As the best flier in the class, he masters it first time, managing a smooth landing. As expected, Jimmy's first to get hurt, hitting the ground and having to take a few potions and a break before resuming. Scott's laughing from up the platform behind him, before just succeeding himself. Everyone else survives at various levels, including Hypno's spectacular hitting of the wall he was supposed to be turning away from at least 8 times, and Mumbo freaking out and flying OVER the wall. It's my turn soon enough, and I get a look over and catch the sight of Scar in the air over in his area, before he nosediving straight into the ground. I try not to laugh, reaching the top of the platform. Skizz is behind me, and I give a thumbs up before jumping down and gliding. The wall appears sooner than I expected,  but I manage to turn, trying not to wobble too much in midair, ending up doing a full 180 and crashing into the ground. I survive with badly grazed knees and a hobbled walk back to the line. 

Skizz crashes dramatically with a lot of screaming behind me as I reach the line, leading to an explanation of what NOT to do from Xisuma. I try not to laugh as he joins the line behind me. Scar does the same in his area, apparently not used to elytras. 

Cub's summoned up to demonstrate how he did his perfect first-time flight before anyone else can have a second go. It's then that I realise Iskall isn't here, and that he's not been seen for a few days. Probably still upset about Stress. Her disappearance was officially reported in assembly a couple of days ago, but it was a week or more before that when Cub had posted an article about it. 

I don't try to think about it, focussing instead on everyone applauding Jimmy for not almost-dying. Scott does instead straight after, and then Ren a few more people after him, though Martyn pushed him off. Instant karma as Martyn's elytra breaks in midair and soon everyone's laughing. My turn again, after False also perfectly flies on her second attempt. Grian and Scar have apparently given up. I take a deep breath, before flying. 

This time I turn in time, and land victorious on the ground. Xisuma nods in approval. I can't help but smile, especially as Skizz's only problem is a rough landing just behind me. 

The lesson continues without any permanent issues, until Xisuma dismisses us. Scar and Grian have already gone, having apparently gotten permission to earlier. But as I walk past the area, I notice something on the ground where the two were. I frown, making sure no one's looking before picking it up. 

It's a feather which would be alright except it's too big and the wrong colour to belong to any birds I know. I pocket it, the only truth there could be coming to me. 

Someone has wings.