𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐓𝐇𝐈𝐑𝐓𝐘 𝐎𝐍𝐄

Not long after, I found out that Bertha was a van owned by Marcus, I did think it was slightly misleading but I'd rather be in a car than hike to the mountains.

I hummed softly to the radio music, tapping my knee to the rhythm as I sat knee to knee with Aris, who was mirroring my actions.

I took a small glance at Brenda who was fast asleep. Her lips quivered and her eyes fluttered in her sleep. I noticed the blue tint in her lips and her skin, pale.

I chose to ignore it, she was most likely unwell from the lack of food and sleep.

We continued the ride like this, having little to no sleep but despite that, we all got a good half an hour of sleep.

As I saw a bump in the road ahead, realizing I didn't have a seatbelt, I braced myself for impact, only to feel pressure on my waist preventing me from hitting the seat in front of me.

Aris's arm rested around my waist.

I shifted, his arm falling from my waist lightly, only for him to hold me tighter.

Just as my eyes became heavy and my vision got blurry, Aris pulled me into his shoulder.

Just like that, I drifted off into yet another dreamless sleep.

---

Aris pov (just for a bit)

The ride was peaceful but I liked it. With the lack of sleep, talking suddenly seemed like the hardest thing to do.

When I noticed Sarah's eyes disappear behind her eyelids, I pulled her in. At the moment I didn't really know why, but I knew I didn't want to let her go.

I ran her hair between my fingers, careful that I don't wake her. A feeling of eyes on me went through my body. I glanced in the rear view mirror to see Newt staring- glaring at me, at us.

Once he met my eyes, he looked away quickly.

What was his problem?

Why was he so mad?

He's hot and cold towards her and now he wants to look at her?

---

Back to Sarah's pov

Sunlight flooded my vision as the van came to an abrupt stop. I scanned our destination, we were surrounded by cliffs, rocks, trees and bushes.

The only thing that seemed unordinary were the abandoned cars scattered in front of us.

At this point I was wide awake, curiousity flowing within me. I rushed to open the car door and seconds later, everyone followed suit.

I carefully approach the beat up vehicles, clutching my gun tightly at my side. I took a closer look at the cars and noticed something off.

There was a perfect, small circle shaped hole on the front window of the car I was looking at. Small bits of glass dirtying the inside of the car.

Once I had realized what it was, it was too late. Booming gunshots filled the air, aiming directly at us.

"He led us into an ambush!" Jorge
yelled, refering to Marcus as he ducked behind a car for cover.

We all did the same. I hastily pulled out my gun, peeking my head out to locate where the bullets were being shot from.

A little ways away there was a cliff with bushes and trees, a perfect spot to hide. I squinted to get a better sight and to my luck, I saw a foot sticking out from behind a bush.

I fired shot after shot, trying my best to hit the target from this range and I managed to hit his leg.

The faint whispering of Jorge and Thomas were heard, from the car in front of us.

I hoped they came up with a smart plan to get us to the right arm safely. But I heard a girl's voice. Not Teresa's.

"Drop it!" A dry, scruffy voice yelled, sounding as if she hadn't drunk water in weeks. "I said drop it!"

The second yell was followed by the clang of metal colliding with the ground.

"Move!"

Silence.

"You heard her! MOVE." Another girl's voice said. This girl's voice was soft. It sounded polite even though she was yelling. All too familiar...

"The others too! COME ON COME ON! ARE YOU STUPID? I SAID MOVE!" The dry voice spoke once more.

We all stood with our hands in the air, walking towards the girls that had their faces covered with bandanas, only exposing their eyes.

Everyone held their hands up with no weapons, I had my hands up too but I was the only one still armed.

"HEY DROP YOUR GU- wha..." She cut herself off when she looked in Aris' and my direction.

As I got closer to the unknown girls, I started to question myself if they really were unknown.

The scruffy voiced girl lowered her gun in a slow pace, the other girl followed in suit hesitantly. They whispered to one another, and then it clicked.

Harriet. Sonya.

---

OMGGG THANK U GUYS FOR 1K READS!!! I JUST HIT 1K TODAY, YOU GUYS ARE SO AMAZING <333

IM SO GRATEFUL AND I APPRECIATE YOU ALL!!, VOTES AND COMMENTS MEAN SOOO MUCH TO ME. BLESS YOU ALL WITH ALL MY LOVE 🥺🥺🥺