Ch. 3: Working through Problems

The family didn't get to say anything as Luz shut the door behind her, locking it as she slid to the floor and sat down.

'Why does this still bother me? I'm one of the best in the Potions Track, I discovered the original glyphs, made countless combinations with them for new spells, and even have a workshop full of magic weapon I made. SO WHY DOES THIS STILL BOTHER ME?!' Luz thought, grabbing her hair in frustration!

"One in a million. The odds of being born as... practically Human, and it had to be me!" Luz said, kicking a wall.

She calmed down a little and looked at safe. She walked up to it and unlocked it, pulling out a box.

"Experiment 33." Luz said.

Experiment 33 is one of Luz's old experiments. Gloves that will allow her to perform magic like a real witch. She hasn't been able to find something to keep them working.

"If only I had Titan's Blood, that could make these work."

Titan's Blood, the life essence of the Titan and the very Isles. A resource capable of interdimensional travel and other miracles, Luz had been told them by her grandma Gwen herself and she instantly thought if she could acquire this, she could finally be able to do magic! Real magic without the glyphs of her magic weapons!

'But where to find it? Where could there still be the blood of the Titan?' Luz thought as she pulled out a map, covered in marks of where Luz thought the Titan's Blood could be.

"Mama told me that there is none left. There has to be, I need there to be."

She has check just about every part of the Isles but found nothing.

"These will never work without it."

Luz looked at the gloves and put them on.

'Without the Titan's Blood, these will only ever be just gloves.' Luz thought, frowning deeply.

Luz just stood there, staring at her gloves that were her dream for 10 minutes before taking them off and putting them back in the box.

"I need to take my mind off this." Luz said as she put the box and map back on to the safe, shutting it tightly. "Maybe a weapon that uses one of the combo glyphs I made."

She went to her workbench and started designing a new weapon.

"Let's see, should it be a sword, an axe, some kind of special bow and arrow?"

A pencil in hand and notebook on her lap, Luz was designing several different weapons to use for the glyph combo she had in mind. Invisibility.

'An invisible shield for protection or maybe an Ice spiked club for heavy surprise attacks?' Luz thought, 'Maybe even a suit that allows me to turn invisible without having to hold my breath.'

Feeling the blues fade away, Luz smiled at the idea of the armor as she circled that idea and gave it a title!

'Invisibility Armor.'

"Now, let's hope this doesn't end like the last time."

Luz shuddered at that previous attempt. It turned invisible, not turn her invisible.

"Never test something while wearing it." She reminded herself.

That was an embarrassing moment, and she was lucky she tested it in the privacy of her workshop or else the world would've seen her in her.... birthday suit.

'I need to find a mannequin to test it on.' Luz thought as she began to work in the armor, something that would take about 2 weeks to make if she focused.

"Let's see, I need clothes for a base, then I need to get some metal. So much to do in such a small time."

Luz heard a door and heard someone come downstairs. This isn't common.

"Luz."

"Hi, Mom."

Luz turned to see Odalia, carrying a plate of food and having a concerned look on her face.

"You left dinner in a rush, and you know how we feel about you skipping meals to work." She said as She walked to Luz, sitting next to her.

"I know, mom. And I'm sorry for that." Luz said as she put her notebook down and took the plate of food. "I....I don't know why it still bothers me after everything."

"It's natural, kitten. We all have insecurities that are just too hard to shake." Odalia said as she patted Luz's head.

"Why did I have to be born without magic?" Luz asked, "I'm basically a human with pointed ears."

"I don't know, Luz. None of us do but that doesn't matter. We all love you and magic can never change that." Odalia said.

"Thanks mom."

Luz and Odalia stayed this way, the mother watching Luz eat to make sure she finished her dinner while taking small glances around Luz's workshop.

"I see you're working on a new invisibility suit." Odalia said.

"Yeah. I think a suit of armor would work better this time and not make just my clothes disappear like last time." Luz said with a blush.

"Yes, dear. We remember what you told us." Odalia said, equally embarrassed for her daughter, "Don't stay up too late."

"I promise." Luz said as she handed the plate to her mom. "I at least have enough time to make a gauntlet."

"Have fun, Kitten."

Odalia walked up the stairs and placed the plate in the kitchen. She felt a pair of arms wrap around her waist.

"How's Luz, Mi Amor?" Camila asked.

"Luz is doing well, darling. She at her dinner at least." Odalia said to her.

"I wish there was something I could do to make her feel better. Find a way for her to do magic like everyone else." Camila said.

"Me too, darling. We've all searched for ways but the closest is Gwendolyn's story of the Titan's Blood." Odalia said as they went to their other partners for the night.

"How is she?" Raine asked, reading a book.

"Luz is doing well but she worries why she still feels inadequate as a witch." Odalia said.

"I can get why but she's found her own way to do magic. And those weapon making skills of hers make her even stronger than most witches her age." Eda said, muting her show on the crystal ball.

"Yes, we all know but you know how children are at this age. Pressure and standards start to get to them, my guess is that Luz feels she'll never reach the standards of the average witch without a working bile sack." Camilia said sadly.

"It hurts to know that there is nothing you can do." Raine said.

"All we can do is be there for her." Camilia said as they all agreed.

Although.... one solution came to mind, but it was too risky. Even for her, the best healer in the Isles outside of the head witch of the Healing Coven.