Ch. 14: Hugs Heal the Hurt

Luz entered the kitchen and grabbed a bottle of water from the fridge.

"Having fun, Kitten?" Camilia asked as she walked into the kitchen.

"Oh yeah, playing video games and taunting Amity are surprisingly relaxing too." Luz said to her mami.

"I regret having Eda steal an Xbox One for you." Camila said, "Those games change Amity."

"Only fighting games, Mami. Everything else she complains about being too violent." Luz said as opens her bottle of water.

"Isn't that a little..." Camilia said to Luz.

"Hypocritical? Yes, extremely but that's what makes it so fun to taunt Amity." Luz said as she took a sip.

"Be careful, your grandma Gwendolyn always says you shouldn't poke a sleeping Slitherbeast."

"I know Mami but don't worry. I'm not crazy enough to poke a Slitherbeast, Amity's not that fierce." Luz said as she walked out of the kitchen.

"You know what I meant." Camilia said to Luz.

"Yeah, I do."

Luz walked back to her room and heard shouting from Amity!

"I WILL BURY YOU AND HAWKGIRL, EMIRA!" Amity shouted!

"DON'T COME CRYING TO ME JUST BECAUSE IM WINNING!" Emira shouted back.

'And the gamer rage has begun.' Luz thought.

Camila got up.

"I'll go call the contractor." She said.

"It's not that bad mom, just-" Luz said before crashing was heard in her room! "YOU BREAK MY STUFF, AMITY, AND YOU'LL PAY TO REPLACE IT!"

Luz ran up the stairs into her room. Thankfully, her Xbox was fine.

"Alright, that's enough gaming."

"But I haven't had a turn yet." Edric said as he hid under Luz's bed.

"Don't be stupid, Ed. Do you want to die?" Skara asked her brother, hiding behind the closet door.

"Not really." He said.

"Everyone out of my room." Luz said, "Except Amity."

"Why?" Amity asked, wrestling with Emira on the bed.

"Because you're wrestling in my bed over a video game." Luz said.

"It's not wrestling." Amity said, "It's murder!"

Luz walked over, grabbed Amity by the waist, and pulled her off.

"No murder in my room either!" Luz said as Emira escape and ran out of the room.

"Thanks, Luz!" Emira said to her as Edric and Skara followed behind her.

"Amity, calm down, or I'll break your arm!"

Amity started to calm down, because she knew that was more than a threat. After Amity was calm, Luz set her down in the bed and sat in front of her.

"Okay, now that you're calm, I have to ask. What EXACTLY did you break?" Luz asked her.

Amity looked nervous.

"Your... axe."

"...I'm sorry what?" Luz asked, thinking she didn't hear her right.

"I.....broke your axe." Amity said, reeled back to prepare for her reaction.

"It's... not the one I spent a year on, is it?"

".....Yes." Amity said in a squeak.

Luz got close to Amity.

"Run."

Amity didn't hesitate as she bolted out of the room and slammed the door shut behind her.

'10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1.' Luz thought with a countdown as she stood up from her bed. 'Head start is over.'

"Oh, Mittens... Here I come." Luz growled.

Amity could hear her sister's calm yet fearful voice and it made her run faster to hide from her fury. Amity ran into the attic and closed the door behind her. She walked backwards until she fell over a box. She looked up and saw the words, "Luz's failed experiments".

"What the?"

Her fear at the moment was gone as she went to check the box, opening it slowly to look inside. She pulled out paper's and went through them.

"March 17th, unfortunately it seems that my project will need to be labeled as Failure. There is no safe way to implant a witch heart into someone without proper medical and Healing knowledge. Any attempt at trying would result in a painful death." Amity read, "This must be when she was 11."

That was a dark time for Luz. She began to shut herself off from other's, focusing on her weapons, getting into fight's. Amity shuddered thinking about it. Luz was almost a completely different person then. She seemed so hollow, even with the self-defense lessons she got from Lilith at the time, Luz was just so sad and constantly trying to make up for her lack of magic. It was a time Amity never wanted to see again.

'All of these must be fails weapons of ideas on how to get magic.' Amit thought as she put the note aside and looked in the box.

"Magic gloves, a wand, a-"

"You shouldn't be looking through that!" Luz said.

Amity jumped as she turned to the attic door, seeing Luz standing in the doorway before she marched towards her. Luz ripped the box away from her and put it to the side. She grabbed Amity's wrist and started to pull her away.

"Luz, why is that box up here?" Amity asked her.

"Because it deserves to be left up here to rot and wither away." Luz said to her.

"Luz-"

"Enough, Amity! I don't pry into your past!"

"Because you know past!" Amity said to her.

"And you know mine, so don't do digging it up!" Luz said to her.

"Why is it up here, Luz!?" Amity said.

"Because I'm afraid of it, Okay!" Luz said, finally breaking, "I'm afraid that seeing it will make me fall back into that dark place."

Amity noticed that Luz started to tear up.

"Luz-"

"I'm afraid, Mittens. I'm... I'm afraid of that version of me."

Amity didn't reply as she hugged her little sister, letting her cry into her shoulder.

"You won't become that again, understand? All of us won't let you go back to that dark place." Amity said to her.

Luz hugged Amity.

"I don't want to go back there." Luz said, "I'm scared."

"We know."

Suddenly, Luz was engulfed in a hug from all of her siblings, all having heard their talk.

"Where did you come from?"

"We were hidden by Ed and Em but that doesn't matter." Skara said as she hugged her sister tightly. "What matters is that we're here for you and love you."

Luz looked down.

"Why was I born with so many problems?"

"We don't know and don't care. We love you as you are." Edric said. "You're smarter than most people on the isles."

"You're as strong as Slitherbeast." Emira added.

Luz hugged her siblings back.

"I love you guys." Luz said.

"We love you too." They said back to her.

"And.....I can always make a new axe. So, you're off the hook, Mittens." Luz said to Amity.

'Oh, thank you, Titan!' Amity thought in relief.

They stayed there for a few minutes... just hugging.