Ch. 17: Waking Promise

At the Healer Center, Amity sat next to Luz's bed, not leaving until her sister was all better. She looked at Luz's sleeping form, feeling both sadness and anger.

'I should've checked on you last night. Maybe then, none of this would've happened.' Amity thought as she clenched the bedsheets. 'Even if your physically stronger than us, you're still as emotional as the rest of us.'

Then she thought about the comments they made, it infuriated her. How could they say something like that? What gave them the right!?

'Luz has always been there for us, no matter how many times we've messed up. She messes up once and they say that?! I'm glad Luz helped me with Willow, I don't care if we have to bring them to dinner.' Amity thought as she held Luz's hand. 'Please, Luz. Be alright so I can thank again. Please wake up soon.'

"Amity, maybe you should go get something to eat." Odalia said, "You haven't moved since-"

"No! I'm not leaving until Luz does!" Amity said.

"Mittens, I know you're worried, but you can't stay here all day." Eda said as she put a hand on Amity's shoulder.

"I will if I have too! I'm not leaving her alone until she wakes up!" Amity said, "I can't leave her... she's my best friend."

"We know, you two are as thick as thieves but starving yourself isn't going to help or make her feel better when she wakes up. Please, mittens." Odalia said as she kneeled next to her daughter.

"I... I can't leave her." Amity said, "I need to be here when she wakes up."

Odalia and Eda looked to each other, they could understand Amity's worry since she was closest to Luz but still couldn't let her stay with Luz alone.

"Then I suppose one of us will stay with you." Eda said as she crossed her arms, "I'll go get us food, you two stay here."

Odalia nodded to Eda as she hugged Amity, letting her crying in her embrace as Eda left to get them something to eat.

'Luz, please wake up soon.' Odalia and Eda thought.

"Everything will be okay, Amity." Odalia said, "We hired the best Healer, she'll be fine."

Amity didn't reply as she nodded in Odalia's embrace.

"Listen, I know you're scared, we all are, but Luz wouldn't want you to push yourself trying to help."

"Yet Luz does it every chance she gets for us. Why can't I do it for her?" Amity asked as she closed her eyes.

"Because I was made tougher, Mittens. I can take it."

Odalia and Amity gasped before they broke their hug, looking to see Luz was awake and smiling weakly at them.

"I appreciate that thought but I don't want my best friend pushing themself to help me." Luz said before Amity and Odalia hugged her CAREFULLY, she still had a broken arm.

"You're awake! I'm so glad you're awake!" Amity said.

"You had us so worried, kitten." Odalia said as she kissed Luz's forehead a few times.

"I know and I'm sorry about that." Luz said as they broke away from her.

"You don't have anything to be sorry for. If I had just checked on you last night or even stopped Ed, Em, and Skar from badmouthing you in the first place, none of this would've happened." Amity said with a frown.

Odalia noticed the sad looks.

"Well... I should go make sure that Edalyn doesn't pickpocket security." Odalia said, "I'll leave you two alone."

"Okay, mom." They said as Odalia kissed both of their foreheads and left the room.

"Alright, Luz, I need to ask... what the fuck were you thinking!?" Amity said.

Luz turned away, not being able to look at Amity for this.

"I just thought they would be better without me. Being magicless has affected you guys just as much as me and I didn't want to be a burden you anymore because of it. Like forcing you guys to spill who you're dating." Luz said before sighing.

"But if it wasn't for you, I wouldn't even be dating Willow right now. You pushed me to finally tell her how I feel and I'm so happy you did." Amity said as she held Luz's left hand. "I don't care what others think, I'm happy and proud to have you as a part of our family. I don't care if the others like you or not, I won't leave my sister's side. I'll be with you in your workshop, I'll be with you when you go to sleep. I won't leave you."

"You don't have-" Luz said before Amity hugged her.

"I WANT to. You've done so much for us, at least let one of us help you until your arm is better." Amity said to her sister.

"Well then, I hope you're ready, that one day you helped, that was easy work." Luz said, "Looks like you'll be testing the armor out."

"After the success of the arm armor due to the metal change I suggested, I think we'll manage." Amity said as they both chuckled at this.

Outside of the room, Odalia and Eda were watching them talk and were happy to see their bond was still strong. If only that could be said for their OTHER children since this would create a divide between them and Luz.

"Do you think we should go in now with the food?" Odalia whispered to Eda.

"A few more minutes. Let them have that." Eda whispered back.