Prologue 🧡

Prologue

“Is everything ready?”

Mum asked, barging into my room. she glanced all over when I did not say anything.

When she saw my suitcase she nodded and stepped out.

I rolled my eyes and pressed the play button on my phone. 

I was listening to Dynamite by BTS and before you wonder, yes, I am an army and I love them. Their songs and voices just always made my gloomy days seem better. And sadly, today is one of those gloomy days.

Everything started about a year ago.

Everything good turned bad when my parents got divorced. Dad claimed that mum was cheating on him but he also got married two months after the divorce was concluded.

Every action and conclusions they came to shows that I was not important to them. They both made selfish decisions.

It was during that time I found BTS and they have helped me ever since.

I stood up from my bed and looked around my room.

This will be my last time here. The picture of mum, dad and I sitting on my  reading table seemed to irk me more than ever so I stumped there and turned it over.

I had hoped before that maybe things would get better. 

That they would forgive themselves and we would go on living happily but that thought died when mum announced to me earlier this week that she is also getting married to another man.
It felt like my ear heard double as she said that but it must have heard triple when she added that I would be moving to grandma’s place at Ibadan.

That piece of information made my understanding heart, because I have been really trying to understand them, it made it turn into an anger filled one.

Why do I have to leave all my non-existent friends, my room, my whole life just because she wants to get married again?

That question has been ringing in my head ever since she said it and I have not been able to even have a normal conversation with her since then.

She tried for a day or two and after that she just left me.

I will sometimes hear her laughing so happily while talking to this new man and it makes me wonder if she doesn't care about me at all.

She obviously does not care seeing how she is ready to dump me at Ibadan.

I love my grandma, but she is just too strict.
Anytime she is here on holidays, we have to start the day by at least five in the morning. Why she does this, I honestly do not know.

Not only that but she is also an educationist so I have to read at least four hours a day with her. I had to do all the chores I was given immediately.
If not, I would receive words that I certainly do not wish to receive. As we all know, Ibadan people can insult for Africa.

But maybe I should find a positive side to this situation.

Maybe my new school will be filled with better people and I can hopefully make friends rather than being such a loner. and Maybe things will work out fine for me. maybe grandma would have pity on me and not be that harsh again. Maybe Ibadan will be fun. Maybe the school will be bigger and better.

Well only if wishes were horses.

I was almost pulled to tears again but I stopped myself. I cried myself to sleep last night and the other nights before that. I cannot start with tears again this morning.

But it really hurts to know that my once beautiful family filled with joy, fun, teasing and love is no more.

Dad hardly calls, and mum has been so focused on the new love of her life more than anything.