Chapter 26 🧡

CHAPTER TWENTY SIX

MARIAM'S POV

I am a nocturnal being.

I have insomnia and I find it hard to sleep; that's why I love reading my books and novels at night.

Last night was one of those nights where I could not even sleep a wink.

My mind was not settled at all.

Mum would be coming in today and I can't bear to see her reaction to Muiz's confession.

She has done her best in providing for my brother and I. she has done her best in raising us right and I feel sad for her. I feel sad for us.

I hugged my leg closer to my chest as I waited for the sun to rise.

Anike and Mercy were still turning around, enjoying their beauty sleep. I know that each of us was facing something hard at the moment and this realization made me really appreciate how they throw everything just to show up. Just to make me happy.

I smiled as I reminisced how they both tried their hardest to make me laugh last night. Recalling funny memories, telling humiliating stories and Mercy even went as far to tinkle me. The girl does not have respect at all. Anike even shared some of her snacks, the one Jayden got her since, the girl hardly eats because how did she keep it for almost a week?

I trust myself; I would have finished it that day.

Anyways, I am really grateful for them.

I am glad to be their roommate. To have them as a support.

And in my 10 years plus at Royals, I finally have people I can call mine. People I can rely on and I definitely can't be more glad at that fact.

A sound from my laptop however brought me back to reality.

I was not shocked to see another notification from Giwa, my brother's best friend.

Giwa is a big hacker and website designer. He created this website where we can both chat on our laptop since other social media handles have been banned by the school rules.

We talk. Most times.

Okay, don't let me lie, we talk a lot. We used to talk a lot.

Like I said earlier, he is my brother's best friend but he is also my friend. I think?

I recently found out while reading an article that there is a thing called situationship: basically, a relationship which does not have a title but it feels like you're dating. Yes, that is what Giwa and I share, a situationship.

We like each other but no one has really stepped up to do something about it and like the writer of the article said, it can get tiring.

I am tired of our going back and forth.

I am tired of seeing him with different girls in the morning while we still end up chatting at night, hiding what we have from my brother.

It is so tiring and exhausting.

That was why I decided to keep my distance this term. To let what we share finally die. I like him but ever since the self-given break from him, I feel more at peace.

My heart is not racing fast at the sight of him with a girl as usual. Don't get it twisted oo, it is not because I do not care about the sight, but because I don't even see him again.

Thankfully, he is also busy with preparations for exams and he has gotten a whole lot more serious this session. For someone who is planning on going to MIT, it is quite understandable.