Chapter 28 🧡

Hello everyone!

This chapter is dedicated to @ummani_liman! Thanks for your comments dear!

CHAPTER TWENTY EIGHT

MARIAM'S POV

Bruises.

I have never seen a stain on my mum's perfect face; not even a pimple or a rash. Her face is always smooth like milk and I am always grateful for getting her genes but why is there a huge bruise on my mother's face right now?

"Mum?"

I said so lightly that I could not recognize my own voice.

I watched my mum stand up and pull me into a warm hug.

"It's nothing darling. I'm fine."

She whispered into my ears before pulling back from the hug.

She adjusted the big sunshades she was wearing, and my guts told me it was to hide more bruises because why else would she wear sunshade in a room? Before I could say anything else, she turned to Giwa.

"Giwa, thank you for reaching out to me. I really appreciate it. Where is Muiz?"

"He is on his way ma."

Mum nodded slightly like if she put in more energy her neck would snap. She made to seat down back as slowly as possible and I knew the bruises were not just on her face.

"What happened to you?"

I asked my voice sounding a bit louder than I expected.

Giwa's hand landed on my shoulder and as much as I missed his touch, I shrugged it off. Walking closer to my mum.

"What happened to you?"

I repeated my voice breaking this time.

"It's nothing."

"What do you mean by it is nothing? Mum, look at yourself. You don't wear long gowns like this; it is to cover the rest of the bruises, isn't it?"

"Mariam, seat down and stop interrogating me. It is nothing. Is that even the issue? Your brother is smoking and taking drugs and you think the bruises on my body is the issue? Don't piss me off."

Mum said in her stern voice making me seat down quietly.

I was grateful for Giwa who sat down beside me holding my already shaky hands in his. The familiar warm touch calmed me down a bit.

But I don't think I can do this anymore.

I don't know how to deal with finding out my brother is a drug addict and my mum covered in bruises in a span of two days. It is just too much for me to bear.

The room was quiet for the next minutes. Everyone in their thoughts as we wait for the man of the hour. Muiz.

The door knob turned immediately after a slight knock. Talk of the devil.

"Good morning ma."

Muiz said prostrating on the floor.

"What is good about this morning Muiz? Ehn... what is good?"

Mum replied in a calm tone and I could see the way Muiz's hand were already shaking. He looked up and was immediately shocked to see the bruises on mum's face too.

Mum stood up to the door and closed it with the key. it would be the best to make sure the school authorities do not find out about this.

"When did this start Muiz? When did you start smoking and taking drugs?"