Chapter Fourteen 🧡

Chapter Fourteen
Anike’s POV   

“You really do not want to know my most embarrassing moment, Jay.”
I said as we ran, meaning every word.

Today marks one week since we started training and I have to say it has been intense. Five laps has been the smallest we have done ever since and the training that followed increased with each day.

I am improving. I know I am.

I can see myself getting better and stronger and I can say I have Jayden to thank for that.

The first two days felt like hell to me, my legs ached so bad and my back was another story. I still feel pain all over but not like back then.

I sometimes wonder if this boy running beside me is a robot because obviously, he hardly gets worn out. I guess this is a normal routine for him but for me it was like a death sentence.

I can also say I can now compete a little with the girls’ team. Jayden has not said it himself but I know he knows.

Well, this one week has not just been about the training.

Talking makes working out easier for me and now Jayden and I talk a lot. I was surprised when he answered my question last week and now, we have just seemed to click.

Talking about everything and nothing has made us a lot closer than we were a week ago and I liked it.
I liked how we were and how close we were becoming.

And just like I thought, he is just as cool as he looks.
“Well, humour me Anike. I am sure it cannot be that bad anyway.”

I chuckled,

“trust me it is bad.”
I argued back.

I tried to rack my brain for the best and least embarrassing moment I have had out of the long list.

“Anike just talk about something.”
Do not be too surprised by how close we seem to have become because trust me, I am still shocked myself. The fact that he can even talk like this is a big contrast to the first impression I had of him. but I like it.

“Okay, there was this day about a year ago. My mum and I went out. I saw this cute guy at the cinema.”

“Hmmm, cute guy.”
He teased making me laugh,

“Yeah, cute guy Jayden, he was actually really cute and I was just staring secretly. Do not get me wrong, I was just admiring the work of God.”

He laughed out loud.

That nice laugh of his that always made his face shine brighter. I stared at him for a split second admiring the work of God in him. like God really took his time with Jayden. He even has a dimple! He is just so handsome.

“go on.”
He said when he was done laughing and I rolled my eyes jokingly,

“My mum caught me staring and went over to the guy to say hello with me by her side. Then she complimented him and was like my daughter seems to have a crush on you. I just looked away. I almost died from embarrassment, like I just sometimes wonder what she was thinking. You know? going up to the guy and trying to introduce us, I ended up pulling her away while the boy could not say a word.”

I still think about those times when my mum and I were pretty close. I sighed and pushed the resurfacing memories and thoughts deep down. 

 I glanced at Jayden and he was staring at me with a smile,

“Your mum sounds cool.”
She is,
Both of them actually. 

“I know right. She is cool. She and dad married early; they were the perfect high school couple. She thinks dating at a young age is normal but I guess not because she did not end well.”
I muttered the last part quietly almost to myself but Jayden heard and thankfully he did not say anything or ask any questions.