2. Good News, Bad News, or Just News

"Mom and Dad?!!" I yelled as I ran to almost jump on their backs as they were setting up the table for dinner

"Mom and Dad?!!" I yelled as I ran to almost jump on their backs as they were setting up the table for dinner. I can't believe they're here right now!

They enveloped me in a group hug kissing both my cheeks. My vision was so blurred from the unexpected tears that I had I almost missed Nasir coming in through the front door. He smiled at the sight of us and said, "An Anderson group hug and y'all are not going to let me join in?"

My mom jokingly rolled her eyes and I chuckled at the sight of her pulling his arms to join us. It was silent as we hugged, our eyes and our tears saying all the words we didn't have to voice to speak out. After what felt like an eternity, we reluctantly separated and laughed after my stomach decides to imitate the sound of whale mating. If I wasn't so happy to see my family right now, I'd totally be embarrassed.

My dad chuckles as he says, "Well I guess it's time to eat!"

We all eagerly took our seats at the table. I almost squealed as my mom took out dinner from our favorite restaurant in Chicago, "Catch 35." When all the food was spread out, we dug in, keeping up conversation on what was going on in each other's lives. I talked about how I was actually kinda excited to start my senior year in a few weeks.

Estelle and I, created a bucket list of items to do during our senior year. While I was explaining this, I noticed that each of them were slightly shifting in their seats as they gave each other quick side glances.
I stuttered mid sentence. Did I accidentally mention Estelle's plan to get drunk and get matching tattoos?

The entire room gradually came to a prolonged silence before my dad cleared his throat and said, "Honey we actually had something we wanted to talk to you about." Everyone had their eyes warily on me.

I took a glance at Nasir and he quickly gazed down to his empty plate. Okay this bitch definitely knew something was up. As I assessed the situation I quickly realized that last time we had a family dinner like this, they were telling me that they wouldn't be home for a month.

The overwhelming joy I was feeling about 5 minutes ago, is already almost gone as I realize they're probably going to tell me that exact same thing. I gradually sat up in my seat as I try to mask the emotions on my face and mentally prepare for another month of solitude.

I finally cleared my throat and spoke up, "Yeah, okay go ahead shoot." My gaze went down to my hands as they gripped each other as I unconsciously bit my lip. A clear sign I was anxious.

"This can actually be good thing for all of us" my mom slowly chimed in.
I looked back up to them again, confused on how them leaving again would be a good thing.

"So we know how us leaving you for work all the time has affected you and really our entire family. Although we take our jobs very seriously, we shouldn't let that affect the way a family should operate. Your mom and I recently raised up ranks in our jobs that will now allow us to be home more often-" my dad was mid sentence before I leaped up for joy.

"Are you serious, you're gonna stay home now?!" I exclaimed. I couldn't help it, I started to praise dance in the middle of him talking. My dreams are finally coming true!

I eventually looked up and slowly stopped dancing when I saw they still were in their seats, faces still serious.

"Nai you might want to let them finish..." my brother quietly said.

Aw shit. I slowly sat back down.

My dad slowly continued, "But because we are going to home more often, we need to move closer to base."

My heart dropped.

"To California" my mom quietly added.

My heart then dropped to my literal ass and then shattered.

A wave of a bunch of emotions ripped through me. How could they do this to me? Taking away the ONE constant in my life. Anger finally ripped through me as I said through tears,

"What makes you think you can drop into my life ever so often and take away the only things I've been able to count on!" I couldn't contain the level in which I was yelling or stop the tears streaming down my face. How can they do this to me? The thought of me leaving this home, this city, school, my friends. Oh my god Estelle.

"You don't honestly expect me to leave Estelle? She's the only person who keeps me sane in this lonely ass house!" I continue

The room is silent for a few moments before my mom speaks up with tears in her own eyes,
"Nai we're so sorry for how we've let work get in the way of family. No amount of words can take away the years of family time we lack. I know the timing is awful but we saw the opportunity for a better family life and took it. We know how much you love Estelle. You guys basically raised each other. We would be clinically insane to try and separate the two of you. So if you want, you can ask her to come and live with us if that is what will help you transition better."

I couldn't believe what I was hearing. I almost scoffed at her words. They don't actually believe Estelle or even Estelle's mom would allow for her to uproot her life to move across the country. I know Estelle loved me but I know that even this was asking for too much. I knew my parents were trying to pacify the blow of us moving by once again, giving false promises.

I dejectedly wiped my tears from my face and scoffed, "You guys are just saying that, you don't honestly expect for her to leave her mom and move to a whole different state? I thought we stopped kidding ourselves with these false promises a long time ago." I said as I angrily got up to put my plate in the sink and go upstairs to my room.

Halfway to the stairs my brother's voice halted my steps, "Nai I know this is a lot to take in right now, please just think it over. And just talk about it with Estelle, you never know until you ask."

I stared back at them all for a couple seconds, fighting the urge to start yelling and crying again, before I quickly went up the stairs to my room, letting the tears fall freely once my door was shut.

I walked to my bed and cried myself to sleep. The last thing I felt was the tongue of my cat licking my tears away before he cuddled next to me.

~

When I woke up again, I reached for my phone and checked the time. It was 10:30pm.

I bit my lip to stop myself from crying again as I called my best friend, knowing she would still be up.

After 2 rings she answers the call.

"Hey girly" she exclaims. Hearing her voice brought out another wave of sadness. I bit my lip again trying to stop myself bawling again. It's a lost cause as I feel a few lone tears fall down my face.

"Can we meet at our spot?" My voice is thick from sleep and you can clearly hear the emotion in my voice.

It's silent for 3 seconds before she says, "I'll see you in 15."