19. Cruisin' for a Bruisin'

I woke up to the feeling of Robert licking my cheeks

I woke up to the feeling of Robert licking my cheeks. I pulled him in to cuddle him closer. As I gently scratched his ears, I checked the time on my phone. It was already 12pm on a Saturday afternoon. Today was the day I was going to Santa Cruz with Nate. He texted me last night saying he'd pick me up around 1.

I sighed deeply as I got up to start getting ready. I trudged to my shower to turn on the hot water. Once it was warm, I stepped in to let the warm water envelope me.

I closed my eyes and tried to focus on the hot water traveling down my body. I was pretty anxious about today. We were spending most of the day at the Santa Cruz Boardwalk before heading to the beach for the bonfire with some of his friends.

I tried to convince Estelle and Nushi to come with us, but of course, out of ALL weekends, this one was where they were both busy. Estelle went over to her dad's house after dinner last night. Part of the agreement of letting her move with my family was that she alternates every two weeks to spend time with her father.  Nushi was flying over this weekend to see her longtime boyfriend. He was a freshman at Oregon State.  So today was just going to be me and Nate. Yay...

I grabbed my lavender body wash and lathered it on my skin before washing my body.

Nate seems like a really nice guy, I just haven't had the best of luck when it comes to dating.

My last boyfriend was the devil incarnate himself.

Daniel Jacobs.

He was known as the best point guard our school had ever seen. Everybody at our high school knew who he was. Every guy wanted to be him and every girl wanted to be with him. He bathed in the adoration.

But he wasn't always like that. I had met him our Freshman year during a basketball game when he aimed to shoot a basket and the ball hit my shoulder instead. He spent weeks apologizing, begging him to let him take me out to make it up to me. After 3 weeks of his consistent persistency, I finally said yes. And just like a fairytale, he swept me off my feet. It wasn't much later until we started to officially date.

Our first year together was amazing. He made me smile like no one else could. We spent every moment we could together. He'd walk me to every class, I'd go to every one of his basketball games, whether or not he was playing. I thought we were in love.

When sophomore year came around, he started to gain more recognition both on and off the court. I slowly started to see his personality change. He used to be kind, selfless, caring. But he slowly started to change into someone I didn't recognize. An egotistical asshole. Estelle's words, not mine. (She ended up being right.)

But like the hopeless romantic idiot I was, I didn't believe her. Our relationship started to crumble during the beginning of junior year. To try and save our relationship, I did what every girl should never feel the need to do. I gave him my virginity.