Chapter Nine

LYRA
______

"He has a brother?"

"What the fuck," Jaxon chimed in after Ava's outburst and turned to me, accusingly. "Did you know about this?"

My eyes remained on the pup. He was Alexander's nephew, Aspen's son. The resemblance, honestly, frightened me. Let's say Alexander did have a brother, was it a twin brother for the pup to resemble my mate so much?

Aspen Rathborne, whoever he was. The name rang in my ears, but made no sense. My brows furrowed as the words kept replaying in my head.

I shook my head in response to Jaxon's question, but found myself unable to speak.

"What is happening? I am so confused," Ava groaned, unsettled by the silence.

I finally glanced at the pair, to find them just as shocked as I was.

"Where is this asshole?" Jaxon snarled. "How can he hide something like this from you?"

Narrowing my eyes, I watched as Ava and Jaxon started throwing random words and accusations in the air. My mind was boggled, and seemed to be all over the place.

I was honestly shook.

Alexander and I had already dealt with too much in the short space of time that we had been together, and I had learned the hard way to accuse him right away.

"Guys," I whined when both of my best friends got angrier, my voice low. "Not here."

My words caused for the pair to silence. They realised the pups and Jenna were eavesdropping and could hear their outbursts. A look of regret and embarrassment covered their faces before they both bowed their heads ever so slightly.

"I think it's for the best to speak to your mate about this," Ava commented, lifting her head and eyed me warily.

I nodded in agreement. "And I will," I added, before I turned to Jenna. "No one will know about this, not even Aspen. Do you understand?"

Jenna frowned but immediately nodded. "Absolutely, Luna."

With that I bid my farewell and told her I would visit in a couple of days. Mostly, because I needed to clear my head. I was trying to remain calm so the trauma from the past didn't consume me.

Ava and Jaxon kept bickering amongst themselves, but I was honestly tuned out. It wasn't until Jaxon stopped in his tracks and turned to me, holding his hand on my arm firmly to bring me to a halt.

"Can I help you?" I asked rudely, with no intentions to.

My wolf was frustrated and I was angry. Not at Jaxon, but at the situation. I hated that none of it made sense, and I hated even more at the possibility of Alexander lying to me about his past. Why hadn't he told me that he had a brother? Why didn't Zynthéa?

"Lyr," Jaxon said, softly. "I know this is hard on you, but you have to remain calm."

"Don't worry," Ava chimed in. "We will get him back for hiding this from you."

I shook my head at the pair. "I am calm. I just need to speak with him. Try not to worry yourselves. I'm sure he has a good reason."