Chapter Twenty

LYRA
______

"Evan, let me go," I snapped, finally coming to my senses and used my Alpha powers to snatch out of the man's grasp on me before we could get away from the house. "Don't you dare ever do that again."

Evan frowned. "The Alpha ordered that I bring you back home safe," he replied, bowing his head slightly. "With all due respect Luna, I have to follow his order."

I narrowed my eyes at him and crossed my arms, not expecting for him to try and go against me. "Alexander isn't your only leader, you do realise that, right?"

"I wouldn't dream of disrespecting you," Evan promised, concern evident in his brown eyes. "The Alpha is doing this to keep you safe."

"Move out of my way," I snarled, before I brushed him aside, ready to take a step towards the house, when the door flung open, and a very angry looking Alexander appeared in my vision.

"Hi," I said, innocently, holding my hand up to wave at him.

"Going somewhere?" he asked, his voice husky, eyes dark. He was not amused.

Biting my lower lip, I shrugged. "To you?"

Alexander's eyes narrowed at me. "Yeah? Is that why you left the house and came here alone without notice?"

"You were occupied," I quickly defended, my voice low. "I didn't want to disturb you."

My mate growled lowly, walking in large strides, not stopping until he had reached me. He snaked his arms around my waist and pulled me flush to him, making me yelp in surprise.

"Do you know how fucking worried I was, Lyra?" he snarled, his voice hard. He didn't swear much around me, so when he did, I knew he was extremely unhappy. "I was ready to kill Aspen, knowing you were here alone."

"I wasn't alone," I reminded him, raising my hand to cup his face. "And I just wanted to speak with him."

Alexander eyed me for a couple of seconds before he gave Evan a single nod and tugged at my hand.

"We are leaving," was all he said, before he started walking, with me following behind.

He didn't utter another word when he started to lead us back to the house, walking in his usual big strides, making me almost hop behind him since his hand was practically glued to mine. The firm grip was enough to tell me he was not happy with me.

We reached the house in record time, with Alexander pushing me inside forcefully, making me frown as I watched him close the shutters.

Once shut to his liking, he turned back to glare at me. His jaw was clenched, his eyes narrowed and dark, his brows pulled together. I could count on my hand the many times that I had seen him this angry; and I can confirm that it wasn't very often.

"What do I do with you?" he asked, his voice hard, his eyes raking up and down my body.

Shrugging, I replied, "I wanted to be useful as the Luna." Sighing, I plopped myself down on the bottom of the stairs. "Watching you deal with all the pack issues sometimes makes me feel like I'm not even the Luna. Yeah, I get to visit the orphanage and train some wolves, but compared to what you do, it's nothing."