Chapter Twenty Three

LYRA
______

"You little bitch," Alexander's mother sneered, narrowing her eyes as she approached me. "You think birthing my son's pups will make him want you?"

"What are you doing here?" I asked, shocked to find her alive, glancing around to find Alexander nowhere in sight.

My brows furrowed and I turned to glare at the woman currently stalking towards me. I wasn't even sure where we were, in the middle of the woods somewhere. But I was not backing down.

The woman, snarled, "I will not allow you to have his pups. You can only dream."

Anger boiled inside of me at her words. "A bit rich coming from you after what you have put us through. Get the hell out of our lives," I snapped, not taking her bullshit. "Or help me, I will kill you with my bare hands."

An evil laughter escaped from the woman, her head tilted back and she chuckled in to the sky. "Oh sweetie," she taunted, glaring at me once she has composed herself. "How can you kill me when I'm already dead?"

My brows pulled together, and I considered her words for a mere seconds, knowing for sure that she was dead. But she looked so real, I charged towards her to prove that.

"Lyra," Alexander's familiar voice urged, making me frown in confusion. "Baby, I need you to wake up."

His voice seemed separate and distant from where I was, and I glanced around but couldn't see him. That was until my eyes fluttered open in a panic, realising that it had all been a nightmare, and I sat up abruptly, shook to the core at what I had seen. My forehead was coated with a light sweat and I felt very hot. A nightmare.

"Lyra," Alexander whispered, sitting up by my side with his arm wrapped around my waist. He pulled me close to him and rested his head against mine, with his lips by my temple. "Hey, I'm here," he cooed, "It was only a dream. You're alright."

Breathing heavily, I nodded, but I couldn't seem to relieve the frown on my face or calm the frantic beating of my heart in my chest. Even in my dream, I hated that I had seen his mother. I hated her now and never wanted her to cross my mind, let alone dream of her.

"Okay," I muttered when I noticed Alexander's concerned gaze on me. Swallowing hard, I assured, "I'm okay."

"Do you want to talk about the dream?" he questioned, his voice low and calm, as he brushed my arm with his free hand, soothingly.

Shaking my head aggressively, I responded with, "No, I need to forget about it. It wasn't pleasant."

"Alright, baby," he replied, in a comforting tone, before he placed a gentle kiss on my exposed shoulder. "Come here, let's get you back to sleep. It is hardly past two A.M."

Groaning, I brushed my hair out of my face before I allowed him to lay us back down. Despite how mad I had been at him before our sleep, I needed his comfort right now more than anything.

I didn't want to tell him about my nightmare because it wasn't necessary. And we were already on terrible terms, I didn't need his mother to haunt us both in my dream and in real life. I wouldn't let her have that effect on me.

I wasn't sure what my dream meant, but I wanted to forget about it and not chase its definition. It really didn't matter. His mother was dead, and that was enough consolation.