Chapter Twenty One

LYRA
______

Alexander had climbed off of me immediately after he had finished off inside of me, leaving me to whimper behind him as he trudged towards the closet to retrieve a new set of clothes.

The thought of him being so mad at me pulled at a nerve, but instead of being angry, it pulled at my emotions and my eyes teared on their own accord. I hated that all of our problems arose because of other people.

Perhaps, I shouldn't have left to speak to Aspen on my own. Maybe, Jaxon had been right, it hadn't been the brightest idea. But nothing had happened. Aspen wasn't a bad person, he was just new to us.

I was allowed to make decisions on my own terms, too, and it frustrated me that Alexander thought that meant I couldn't protect myself.

When Alexander exited the closet, wearing a pair of grey shorts with a white t-shirt, I whimpered, louder than intended, making my mate glance at me. He frowned when he took notice of my state.

"Christ, Lyra," he muttered, approaching me and crouched down to his knee on the ground next to the bed to be at eye level with me. "I didn't mean to upset you."

"I know," I sniffled, agreeing with him. I was happy to know he had calmed down. "I just wanted to prove that I can help as the Luna too. I want to fulfil my role where I can."

Alexander sighed, placing his hand on my thigh, in a soothing manner. "You do more than you give yourself credit for," he assured me, his ocean blue eyes on me. "But baby, with things like this, you cannot intervene. I have lost too much and I will not lose you."

As if my emotions weren't already screwing me over, at his words, tears flowed down my cheek like a waterfall. "I'm sorry," I apologised, my voice a whisper. "It was a stupid move on my part."

"Alright, come here," he murmured, before wrapping his arm around me. He pulled me off the bed and settled me on top of his lap.

Placing a soft kiss on top of my head, he rocked me gently in an attempt to calm me down. I felt terrible for worrying him, when that hadn't been my intention at all.

All I wanted to do was to speak to Aspen, to try and understand him. But even that had backfired, he had told me about Alexander's mother. I was furious, but telling Alexander at a time like this would do no good. Heck, I wasn't even sure if he already knew.

"We will work things out," Alexander promised, his voice low and hard. "Try not to worry yourself, alright?"

"What happened to Aspen?" I asked, pulling back to glance up at him.

His eyes had completely softened and he replied with, "Adam confirmed that he is indeed my brother."

"Oh." It wasn't a shock, really. That had been a possibility that we both expected, but the reality of it, did change a lot.

"Mhm," Alexander hummed. "That does not mean that I trust him."

"Of course," I added, wiping at my wet cheeks. "What do we do now?"

"I will trial him to see if he's telling the truth. If I notice anything out of the ordinary, I will take his life."

I inhaled a shaky breath but nodded, realising that what my mate was offering was more than enough. Most Alpha's would have killed the wolf by now and not even pause to listen to what the wolf had to say. But Alexander had given him the opportunity to explain himself.