Chapter Twenty Six

LYRA
______

For the next couple of weeks, we laid low, but doubled our guards. Alexander had spoken to Jonathan after that day in the closet, and the Alpha of Sirius Pack had confirmed that his beta and the beta's wife had asked for a 'much needed rest.'

Alexander hadn't taken that lightly, however. And since that day, had changed his routine completely. He would be out of the door before I woke up to attend training and only return in the evenings. He worked so hard that I tried not to get on his toes most of the times, even if I wanted to.

In the meantime, I had trained the rest of the fighters and continued to attend to the orphanage. I had formed a bond with Kai, and almost loved him as if he was my pup. Aspen was still kept on trial, but I could tell that Alexander was warming up to him.

He for certain loved to wind up my mate, though. Especially when it came to me. Aspen and I had discussed our friendship, and he told me he liked getting a reaction out of Alexander.

I had just finished training for today, when Ava appeared in my sight. Grinning, she strutted towards me. "Hey," she said, waving.

"Ave, hi," I replied, heading towards her. "What are you doing here?"

The auburn haired girl sighed. "I hardly get to see you these days, and I knew I would find you here, so hi."

I chuckled softly at her words before I wrapped an arm around her shoulder. "Well, thank you. I'm glad you're here."

"Is everything okay with you?"

I raised a brow at her as we began making our way back to the house. "Of course. Why would you ask?"

She shrugged. "I don't know. You seem so rushed all the time, always on the move to do something. The guys noticed too. I'm a bit worried."

I narrowed my eyes at her. "The guys?"

"Mhm," she hummed, nodding her head. "You know— Matteo, Zynthéa, Jax, Evan and I. It's like the light in you is slowly dimming."

Her words affected me more than I thought they would. She was right. My silence after her words was evidence of that. Being a Luna wasn't easy, and it particularly wasn't easy, when I spent most of my days worried about my mate.

Alexander and I saw each other for a couple of hours, if that, in the evenings before he would knock out from exhaustion. I couldn't complain because our pack needed us. I could wait. For some reason, the more days that passed, the more clingier I became for him.

"I'm just busy with the pack," I finally told her, dismissing the topic before my vulnerability could show. "What have you been up to?"

Ava eyed me curiously for a second before she replied, "Just the usual. I'm waiting for this feud to end so I can go ahead with the wedding planning."

I gave her an apologetic look, feeling bad that this was affecting her marriage plans. "You know you can go ahead—"

"Don't say it," she interjected, cutting me off. "Lyra, I would never have it in me to get married at a time like this."

"I know," I chimed in. "I just don't want you to feel like the option isn't there."

She smiled, sweetly, before wrapping an arm around me. "Thank you for the gesture, but even if I went ahead now, no one would really enjoy themselves. Everyone would be on edge, and that's not the wedding I envision for myself."