Chapter Fifteen

ALEXANDER
_____________

Aspen appeared more interested in the drink in his hand than to tell his side. I watched him with curious eyes, slowly losing my patience. If it wasn't for my Luna, I would have him squared up already.

"This tastes quite sweet," Aspen commented, holding his drink up and eyeing it.

"Aspen," I growled, warningly, feeling my canines appear.

Lyra squeezed my hand in hers, making me glance down at her. She offered a weak smile, pulling herself closer to my side in a comforting manner. Within hardly a second, I was completely relaxed again.

"Sorry," Aspen mumbled, making me glance back at him, and as if Lyra's effort to calm me down had gone to waste, I was worked up once again at the sight of my so-called-brother. "Honestly, I'm purposely wasting time because I'm not sure if you can handle the truth."

I snorted. "If I did not know any better, I would say you are worried about me."

Aspen frowned, placing his drink on the trolley before he came to stand a couple of feet away from my Luna and I, with his back leaned against my desk.

"I can appreciate that trusting me will be a hard task," he stated, his eyes glistening and brows knitted together. "But like I already told you, I do wish for us to form a brotherhood. To you, I am a stranger, and I can't pin you down for that because you didn't know of my existence. But to me, you have been my brother since the day I watched you walk."

I raised a brow. "Tell me what the hell you are doing here," I warned, not interested in his soppy stories.

For all I knew, he could be making all of this up to distract me. Distract me from exactly what? That was what concerned me.

Aspen gave me a look that I could not quite decipher, before he nodded and crossed his arms. He stole a quick glance at my Luna before he pried his eyes away. I could feel her squirm under my touch, so I held her firmly in an attempt to comfort her.

"I already told you that I am a half-breed, and well, older than you," Aspen began saying. "Father was in love with my mother years before yours appeared. According to father, they had plans to marry. He really did love her, you know? The type of love, forbidden and painful, but he didn't mind that. In his own words, anything for her."

Aspen chuckled humourlessly at his own words, making me narrow my eyes at him. I found it hard to believe his words, when a wolf's mate was beyond what any human relationship could offer. There was no way that father wanted to remain with the human lover after finding his mate, my mother.

"It's like I can already read your mind and imagine you saying how daft I probably sound," Aspen continued, scoffing. "Which I completely get. Mated bonds are eternal, something humans can't ever offer, really. But there was something special between father and my mother, to the point that the Alpha thought the human was his mate, his wolf just didn't recognise her."

"If his wolf didn't recognise her, then clearly, she wasn't his mate," I retorted. "I get it. They were in love. Get to the damn point."

Aspen raised his head to meet my gaze, a sad expression coated his features. He gave me a weak smile.

"Love wouldn't even cut what they had, but let's call it that," he agreed, nodding. "They were together for years, about to settle, when father found your mother. He was confused because his wolf loved your mother, but he loved mine. At first, he kept both a secret and tried to see them, to figure out what he wanted, but then your mother found out."