Chapter Fourteen

LYRA
______

'Is everything okay?' I mind-linked my mate when he remained frozen in place, not uttering a word.

The stranger, Aspen, glanced at my mate questioningly. He stole a couple of glances between my mate and I before he shook his head, and tried to brush past Alexander but the latter man wouldn't budge.

"Dude," Aspen groaned, annoyed. "Am I forbidden from seeing my own pup now too?"

Alexander's brows knitted together, and he seemed to finally have snapped out of his daze as he stalked towards me, completely ignoring Aspen.

Once near me, he tugged at my arm and snatched me in to his embrace, away from the pup. Frowning, I turned my gaze on Alexander who was still eyeing Kai.

"What's wrong?" I asked, confused.

Alexander was glancing at the pup as if the pup was highly infectious, ready to spread. I didn't understand why.

"Kai, come here," Aspen urged simultaneously, holding his arm out for the pup.

The pup dropped the toy in his hand and followed his father's instructions, before he was engulfed in Aspen's arms.

Alexander snarled at the sight of the pair. I placed my hand on his chest not understanding why he was so worked up. It must have been shocking for him to finally see Kai, but I couldn't understand why he looked ready to kill.

"Hey," I whispered, enough for him to hear and glance down at me. I inhaled sharply when I was met with his charcoal eyes.

"That pup is not mine," he told me, huskily, his voice pained. It was almost as if he was trying to convince me, but I believed him already.

"I know," I assured him, running my hand over his chest in an effort to calm his wolf down. "He's not yours."

"I don't understand where the resemblance comes from," he growled lowly, his eyes glistening, a puzzled look on his face.

'You're his uncle,' I reminded him in the mind-link.

"I have a lot to tell you," Aspen voiced aloud, his arms on Kai's shoulders, not giving me a chance to mind-link my mate any further. "Perhaps, we can take this somewhere else? Might take a while, a drink would be highly appreciated."

"Or perhaps, I could kill yo—"

"Alexander!" I interjected, warningly, nodding towards the pup in Aspen's arms.

My mate narrowed his eyes but remained quiet, he must have understood what I was trying to tell him. The situation was a mess, and a confusing one at that, but the pup was innocent. He didn't need to hear anything a mere five year old shouldn't have to.

"My office," Alexander declared, glaring at Aspen. "I will see you there in ten. If you do not appear by then, the next place I will find you in will be the underground cells. Understood?"

Aspen didn't even have time to respond before my mate tugged at my hand and started to lead us out of the orphanage.

We were walking incredibly fast, to the point, I had to pick up my pace in to a low jog. Alexander wasn't speaking, but I could feel his frustration though our connection. I didn't want to intrude on his thoughts so I remained quiet until we reached our house.